Help: DIY Teen buzz/ teen repellant device

Mosquito device anti-loitering .
Mosquito Device Anti Loitering

Hello guys, has anyone build a similar device as shown from the link above.
I would love to hear any inputs from you guys on what components i need
to build a teen repellant device. I am an expat working here in Dubai, UAE.
Lots of local kids hanging around in front of my villa palying street soccer.
I would love to see any diagrams too on how to build one.

I just remembered: Here, one of our "oh, so politically correct" schoolboards had to disconnect speakers that produced high-frequency sounds normal (I mean over 18s) people can't hear. Within a week several 1000$ worth of damage was done to the property. Now the speakers are back on. The word "mosquito speaker" is in my memory. You should be able to find them at security supply houses. E

I have researched the Mosquito Anti Loitering device too. Unfortunately, the effective range is limited to 20-25 meters. I need min 80 meters. So I build my own Mosquito. I call it the Jackhammer.

Before I start, the Mexican police is unable/unwilling/unauthorized to address the accoustic terrorism of an open air disco/concert facility in the middle of 20+ residences. There is no HOA. The courts are backlogged 8-10 years and the owner is absolutely, positively unreceptive to any communication. Hence...

Driving four DS18 PRO-TW320 4-ohm tweeters (250W RMS each) wired parallel for 1 ohm impedance matching to a DS18 FRX1K monoblock type D amp delivering 1,000W RMS at 1 ohm. On the input side, I am using an Esinkin Blue Tooth adapator. Also using a 1,000 Watt 110 VAC to 12 VDC regulated power supply.

The signal is generated from the Hz Frequency Sound Generator App running on my Pixel/Android phone. I find a 17 kHz sine wave sound effective for people under 25. An 11 kHz sine wave is effective for approx up to 40. The sound is not audible for people beyond that age. The music/screaming quits after a 5-15 minutes. I haven't tested the max distance, but it's good for me at 100 meters.

For diversity, I can play the soundtrack of one million Japanese cicadas :)

Beware: I have blown the voicecoils on 8 tweeters (so far) at around 80% of volume. They're inexpensive and easy to replace. Any insight you can provide as to why the voice coils blow would be deeply appreciated.

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
He's way past the tweeter limits. The "250 Watts" is for wide-range music, not steady full-power tone. (Even JBL's 4-inch 2440 driver was only 25 Watts steady, though we did drive them with hundreds of watts for boom-tizz-boom-tizz disco which is not steady, even though it seems monotonous.) (The late versions with fancy glue may have carried a 75W rating?)

Thanks you for your replies. Muy apreciado. Makes a lot of sense. Seems like they blow out when run on a single sine wave and NOT on a sine wave sweeping up and down by 2kHz from the numbers above. In any event, I will rewire the tweeters for 2 ohm impedance giving me still 600W RMS output from the amp. Figuring that they blew around 200 Watts (80%) on a single wave, 600 Watts may save some voicecoils. Wish I could add 4 more tweeters, but that's no an option for me. Too heavy :-(

That.
250W RMS is nonsense/physically impossible.

You have already burnt 8 .... burn 1 more in the interest of Science.

Connect it your power amp output, start by feeding it 17kHz (or 11kHz, whichever you will use) and rising volume to 10 V RMS for "preconditioning" .

After 15 minutes rise it by 2 V, again wait 15 minutes.
repeat as needed, step by step, 2V each, until you blow it.

Now you know you can use it safely 4 V below that.

You have a few blown ones, I would try to get replacement diapragms, replace them and make a series parallel array of 8 tweeters instead of 4 , both to spread power fed to them and to increase acoustic focusing on the exact area you need maximum effect.

Don´t worry about "losing power because your amp will now put out "only" 500W; I bet those tweeters don´t standmore than 30/40W RMS *at their voice coils*.
"250/500 W" means full cabinet power rating, not tweeter coils.

Once you found (by sacrificing one) *real* RMS power handling, at tweeter level, your system will last forever.

I have done the exact same system, but driving Piezos, to drive away people at my door, I hve the disgrace of living in Buenos Aires most typical "Tourist Attraction" street, where Tango was born and has a long history of bohemian Painters, musicians, etc. Oh well.

The grey one on the right is my own house:

Calle_Caminito_in_La_Boca%2C_Buenos_Aires-4.JPG

photos2-2528-buenos_aires_pasaje_caminito.jpg

So my "noisy people rejection" needs go from 0 to 15-20 meters away, and a string of piezos han ging from galvanized wire over my front doors work beautifully.

Just last night at 2 AM I had to shoo away some idiots who parked a car at my door, opened all car doors and started playing disgusting boom boom boom click click click reggaeton style "music" at literally wall shaking levels, clothes cabinet doors INSIDE my house were shaking and rattling.

They couldn´t stand it more than 5 minutes and left.

One of them remembered: "oh, the guy in that house makes amps and speakers for all the Rock Musicians, he must have made something to annoy us, let´s go!"
They did not notice the small "line array" of Piezos hanging from a balcony, because it´s wrapped in cloth and surrounded by plant pots, does not "look" like a speaker system.

Oh well.

Piezo tweeters done as you have is a far better solution!

I've always wanted to visit Buenos Aires. Quite a few years ago I was helping Gustavo Enriquez there by field testing TangoSpinner products during development and getting engineering information on Rega and Pro-Ject turntables for him. I shipped Rega bits to him via Uruguay for reasons I'm sure you know why.

Thanks. :)
Yes, unfortunately it´s better/"easier" to have stuff shipped to Uruguay and travelling there in person to bring it in as luggage, than getting through Customs and Mail bureaucracy and red tape.

Back to OP : now I´ll show why I called your wounds dangerous yet called you "lucky" (they didn´t carry on attacking you) and why I insist on stoppping dogs NOW within seconds with 100% certainty, 99% is not enough.

Be warned, graphic images of a thief caught inside by two Pittbulls:

Cheesy robotic voice but images are real, both fuzzy video surveillance and operations room pictures.

This is not a random "internet video" but 9 ó clock TV news.

Pitbulls Comen Pierna Ladron (IMAGENES FUERTES) - YouTube

The "official" news report (no graphic images, only to show it´s "real news" and not some Internet foolery or sick prank.
Dos pitbulls le comieron las piernas a un ladron - YouTube

The State Attorney stating they will NOT sacrifice/put down those dogs, "because they were doing their job", meaning 3 AM, INSIDE an old defenceless lady´s house.
No sacrificaran a los pitbulls que atacaron a ladron - YouTube

Sadly the (female) Judge is accusing the old Lady of "grievous wounds damage" against the (presumed) thief and accused him only of "trespassing" (which is relatively minor) because "she has no proof he was actually trying to rob anybody" .

Yea, sure, jumping a fence at 3 AM in a sparsely populated area.
He claims he was playing football (what Americans call soccer) and he jumped the fence to get his ball back.

Only problems being he seems to play alone (nobody else in the street or anywhere close), in pitch darkness (notice the almost unwatchable videos) and no ball was found anywhere.

But of course the Judge must show her politically correct attitude or else.

Oh well, brave new world.

JMFahey, I know that house!
It's in San Telmo, right?
We spent 2 months there many years ago.
Loved every minute of it.

And yes, I will sacrifice one more tweeter in the interest of science just like you said. Thanks for that tip.

If you were to build your piezo system to reach a distance of 100 meters, what would your parts list look like? I'd like to build one for our neighbor.

Thanks again for the great explanation!

I've gone down the road with tweeters because I don't know any better.

Thanks.
It´s actually in Caminito, La Boca, 10 minutes from San Telmo, and usually visited on the same tour pack.

Sadly Piezos are short range, they spread sound too much and don´t have such high SPL.
Good enough for me within 15-20 meter tops but no way reaching 100 meters, for which you´ll need bullet tweeters (or high end driver+horn combinatios).

But testing real life power handling will make your system "as loud as possible but still reliable".

If you can sweep output frequency, say between 15KHz and 19 KHz or even some wider range, it´s way more annoying.

No hard data to back it up, just some practical tests, but ears seem to "peak" or have strong built in resonances at different frequencies, varying person to person.

Sweeping makes it certain there will be no people "naturally immune" to your system, everybody will react to some frequency between sweep limits.

I found it simply by varying frequency manually, some scrambled MY brain, leaving others relatively unmolested; others did the opposite, sweep covers them all.

I found slow sweeps, (say 1 lasting 30 seconds) more annoying than faster ones.

Extra thoughts: **maybe** your friend can sneakily (say, during the morning or noon, when none of the partyers is present) install a system near the dance spot, maybe an annoyed neighbour can offer a balcony or terrace to install it, or hang it inconspicuously from a tree or lamp post or something, my point being both that 100 meters is a lot but also sound can´t be focused/pinpointed with that high precision and it can also annoy innocent neighbours too.

Here wooden posts are adorned here and there by "technical" stuff: Cable TV repeaters and splitters, Phone distribution boxes, Police surveillance domes, Photoelectric sensors for street lights, the works, so an extra mystery box (kindly supplied by you) which hides a few Piezos behind a perforated grill or even galvanized mosquito net won´t be even noticed, even less detected as THE ear pain source, he he.

Very high audio frequencies are not easily identified as audio tones , nor pinpointed with any certainty, but listener will feel uncomfortable (our main goal).

If I were to make one of those it would never have an audio rated sounder. Power and low cost are the two most important things.
The core from an old computer power supply ground down so that the coil can be removed and rewound if needed to produce a square wave oscillator that can be swept from 10khz to 20khz.
Simply mount a thin steel bean can lid in front of the open end of the core will do it.
This is how telephone ear pieces used to work and is cheap and efficient.

Lot's and lots of very good ideas.

Some background: I built a box with 4 piezo tweeters and 10" JBL long horns. To power it, it used the 100W Nausea generator described here:

1 Better SUPER SONIC NAUSEA + ULTRASOUND GENERATOR

So, at this point I will pursue the tweeter

ABSOLUTELY USELESS. People at 20 meters seem to notice for a short while, then simply got used to it. To reach my main target of 100 meters is not achievable.

From all I have read, I am proceeding with the idea of 8 bullet tweeters instead of 4. I will sacrifice one speaker in the name of science to establish the voltage at which it blows. Then will install a voltmeter on the system.

Also considering the idea of "disposable" short range bugs and plant them around the disco. Ha Ha Ha....

You guys have been of absolutely great assistance for this semi-novice. Thank you.

If I were to make one of those it would never have an audio rated sounder. Power and low cost are the two most important things.
The core from an old computer power supply ground down so that the coil can be removed and rewound if needed to produce a square wave oscillator that can be swept from 10khz to 20khz.
Simply mount a thin steel bean can lid in front of the open end of the core will do it.
This is how telephone ear pieces used to work and is cheap and efficient.

Thanks Refugee1. That is what I call computer recycling :) However, I doubt that it will be effective at 100 meters. And that is what I'm looking for.