opinions on my subwoofer blueprint

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi guys.

Just wanted to know what feedback you can give me on my subwoofer design.

I am in the process of just organising bits and pieces for a home theatre system, and instead of buying a 5.1 HT system, i decided to go for 2.0 Studio monitors and make a sub out of a 10W0 JL Audio sub i had lying around.

I dont like doofdoof that much and just wanted a sub that could do low ends with clarity. i like punchiness rather than wall rattling low end.

I ended up drawing up a design for a ported sub that measures quite small around 30x30x40 cm but can easily scale that to 40x40x50cm

I know a bit about room construction and how it makes a big deal dependent on the room, but at the moment im in a bedroom so it needs not be that powerful bass.

Would like opinions on plate amps. Dont want to spend anything too much if possible. The sub is rated 125w and 4 Ohm.

Dont expect the wood to cost much more than $50.

Also want to know what kind of sound i can expect out of a construction like this. Will it be muddy? punchy? echoy?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pjg0ey12hjhoe8w/2012-07-05 17.47.54.jpg

thanks in advance

I have had good luck so far with an O-Audio amp as a low end plate in my office. My main system uses a big parasound. Yea, a real amp is better, but sure not as convenient.

My preference, I don't like ported subs at all. Only sealed. I find the room gain with careful use of the walls will do the eq just fine. No LT needed. I also like my Q at about .6 .

Please, do the model of your alignment in any of the free tools like WinIsl.

A sealed box with a Q of 0.7 is a safe bet. I don't know about the 10W0, but the 10W1 could be a pretty good home sub. Too bad about the foam surrounds on them...

As for an amp, try using one channel of a spare stereo amp or receiver. Or run a car amp from a computer power supply. Plate amps may be convenient, but they're rarely the best value.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.