Best former material ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
What is the best voice coil former material? Arguably the characteristics that define a good former is : Weightless as as close as possible, infinitely rigid, superconducting in the thermal zone, and 100% percent resistive in the electrical zone. I am sure at this point you could all agree with me. Now the most common materials are Kapton, Aluminum, Titanium, and beryllium. Titanium isnt really worth putting up i think as it is about twice as dense as aluminuim yet several times less thermally conductive. It seems Beryllium is the best material. Does anyone know of any other materials that would best beryllium ?

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Last edited:
If you knew anything about manufacturing with beryllium, you would know why. Toxic, brittle, galls, and that is the easy part. A former for a mid-woofer might cost several thousand dollars.

The former mass and rigidity are not really relevant when you consider the windings. Aluminium does fine. So do several other non-exotic materials, like glue, paper, Kapton, fiberglass, Pheonlic and aluminum. I would prefer one non-conductive. Look somewhere else to improve the motor.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.