Need amplifier construction advice (PCB/Soldering) - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Construction Tips

Construction Tips Construction techniques and tips

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th June 2012, 06:01 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Rullknufs
Default Need amplifier construction advice (PCB/Soldering)

Hello, I'm in the process of soldering an AMP10-Basic from 41hz.com and I've run into some problems.

Click the image to open in full size.

In that picture I wonder about the square-circle things on the PCB. For an example, is R80 and R81 supposed to be mounted underneath C100 and C200 or at the square-circle things further down on the PCB?
And what about R39, R34, R36 and the others at that place, how are they supposed to be soldered? Like the red lines I've drawn in the picture?
And R42, R43, R44, R3 and R4, are they also supposed to be mounted at the square-circle things?

I've tried to fit the resistors there but the space between the holes is too small so I can't get the reistor close to the PCB.

This is the first time I'm doing anything like this, I would appreciate some quick advice on how to do so I can keep going.
Old 26th June 2012, 05:29 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

I believe that they are standing on end.

Ron
Old 26th June 2012, 05:55 AM   #3
diarav is offline diarav  India
diyAudio Member

I suggest you look at the original schematic on where these resistors are ending. Going just by the PCB is a little risky.
Old 26th June 2012, 07:14 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Thanks, but I called a friend who came over to my house and helped me with it Everything is done except for two resistors that are missing :O
Old 22nd July 2012, 10:11 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Okay, another new question about a different amplifier (now the AMP15-PS XP)

This is how it looks like

These are the components that are supposed to go there. Click the image to open in full size.
I am unsure how they are supposed to be soldered. Which way is up and down? With the greenish facing upwards or downwards?
And how are they supposed to be placed? Like I've done to the right or should they be as I've done to the left? There seems to be 8 pads on the PCB but there's only 4 components, confusing!

And one last question (for now).
This component... That place on the PCB is the only place with three holes arranged like that. The problem is, that the legs of the component is much wider spaced than on the PCB. It's impossible to force them through the holes.

If you need more information in order to answer my questions, please tell me and I'll try to supply you
Old 23rd July 2012, 01:53 AM   #6
dangus is offline dangus  Canada
diyAudio Member

The last one... it's not unusual for board designers to use the wrong spacing. I'd use two pairs of needlenose pliers to carefully straighten the lead at the second bend, then rebend it so it fits.

As for the resistors, I'd expect they would be mounted so the component value is visible. Doesn't 41 Hz provide you with pictures of a finished board? Asking them questions like this helps them by pointing out deficiencies in their documentation.
Old 23rd July 2012, 11:27 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangus View Post
The last one... it's not unusual for board designers to use the wrong spacing. I'd use two pairs of needlenose pliers to carefully straighten the lead at the second bend, then rebend it so it fits.

As for the resistors, I'd expect they would be mounted so the component value is visible. Doesn't 41 Hz provide you with pictures of a finished board? Asking them questions like this helps them by pointing out deficiencies in their documentation.
Okay thank you. I will contact 41Hz and see what he has to say
Old 23rd July 2012, 06:11 PM   #8
Enzo is online now Enzo  United States
diyAudio Member

The transistor in your photo has pre-formed leads - they are bent to that spread shape. SOme OEMs specify that. Most small transistors have straight legs, and you fan them out a little to fit into the hole pattern. Your transistor type may have straight legs if bought from a different brand. Bottom line is not to worry about that. The design isn;t wrong, the part isn't wrong. Just your particular part did not come pre-bent for that hole pattern.
Old 23rd July 2012, 08:38 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Managed to bend the transistor legs right, wasn't that hard.

But I found some other questionmarks...
This is what it looks like right now. There are three capacitors that are too small to fit the holes, but the values are correct. Should I just force them in?
And then there's the two blue ones on the very left in the first picture. This is what the drawing says...
That's what the drawing says and my blue caps are C100 and C200. How do I mount them? There seems to be no positive or negative side of them either.
This is what the Bill of Materials say
Old 23rd July 2012, 08:45 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rullknufs View Post
Managed to bend the transistor legs right, wasn't that hard.

But I found some other questionmarks...
This is what it looks like right now. There are three capacitors that are too small to fit the holes, but the values are correct. Should I just force them in?
And then there's the two blue ones on the very left in the first picture. This is what the drawing says...
That's what the drawing says and my blue caps are C100 and C200. How do I mount them? There seems to be no positive or negative side of them either.
This is what the Bill of Materials say
These are bi-polar as specified in tyhe BOM - that means they do not have a +/ve and -/ve side, you just solder them in with one leg either side of the dotted line.

Hide this!Advertise here!