Need amplifier construction advice (PCB/Soldering)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello, I'm in the process of soldering an AMP10-Basic from 41hz.com and I've run into some problems.

nTOdZ.png

In that picture I wonder about the square-circle things on the PCB. For an example, is R80 and R81 supposed to be mounted underneath C100 and C200 or at the square-circle things further down on the PCB?
And what about R39, R34, R36 and the others at that place, how are they supposed to be soldered? Like the red lines I've drawn in the picture?
And R42, R43, R44, R3 and R4, are they also supposed to be mounted at the square-circle things?

I've tried to fit the resistors there but the space between the holes is too small so I can't get the reistor close to the PCB.

This is the first time I'm doing anything like this, I would appreciate some quick advice on how to do so I can keep going.

Okay, another new question about a different amplifier (now the AMP15-PS XP)

This is how it looks like
tco3o.png

These are the components that are supposed to go there.
8Oz6p.png

I am unsure how they are supposed to be soldered. Which way is up and down? With the greenish facing upwards or downwards?
And how are they supposed to be placed? Like I've done to the right or should they be as I've done to the left? There seems to be 8 pads on the PCB but there's only 4 components, confusing!

And one last question (for now).
Onrc7.png

This component... That place on the PCB is the only place with three holes arranged like that. The problem is, that the legs of the component is much wider spaced than on the PCB. It's impossible to force them through the holes.

If you need more information in order to answer my questions, please tell me and I'll try to supply you :)

The last one... it's not unusual for board designers to use the wrong spacing. I'd use two pairs of needlenose pliers to carefully straighten the lead at the second bend, then rebend it so it fits.

As for the resistors, I'd expect they would be mounted so the component value is visible. Doesn't 41 Hz provide you with pictures of a finished board? Asking them questions like this helps them by pointing out deficiencies in their documentation.

The last one... it's not unusual for board designers to use the wrong spacing. I'd use two pairs of needlenose pliers to carefully straighten the lead at the second bend, then rebend it so it fits.

As for the resistors, I'd expect they would be mounted so the component value is visible. Doesn't 41 Hz provide you with pictures of a finished board? Asking them questions like this helps them by pointing out deficiencies in their documentation.

Okay thank you. I will contact 41Hz and see what he has to say :)

The transistor in your photo has pre-formed leads - they are bent to that spread shape. SOme OEMs specify that. Most small transistors have straight legs, and you fan them out a little to fit into the hole pattern. Your transistor type may have straight legs if bought from a different brand. Bottom line is not to worry about that. The design isn;t wrong, the part isn't wrong. Just your particular part did not come pre-bent for that hole pattern.

Managed to bend the transistor legs right, wasn't that hard.

But I found some other questionmarks...
d73op.jpg

This is what it looks like right now. There are three capacitors that are too small to fit the holes, but the values are correct. Should I just force them in?
pzAtm.jpg

vqOvv.jpg

And then there's the two blue ones on the very left in the first picture. This is what the drawing says...
2ZsOE.png

That's what the drawing says and my blue caps are C100 and C200. How do I mount them? There seems to be no positive or negative side of them either.
This is what the Bill of Materials say
VsZgI.png

Managed to bend the transistor legs right, wasn't that hard.

But I found some other questionmarks...
d73op.jpg

This is what it looks like right now. There are three capacitors that are too small to fit the holes, but the values are correct. Should I just force them in?
pzAtm.jpg

vqOvv.jpg

And then there's the two blue ones on the very left in the first picture. This is what the drawing says...
2ZsOE.png

That's what the drawing says and my blue caps are C100 and C200. How do I mount them? There seems to be no positive or negative side of them either.
This is what the Bill of Materials say
VsZgI.png

These are bi-polar as specified in tyhe BOM - that means they do not have a +/ve and -/ve side, you just solder them in with one leg either side of the dotted line.

jsJQJ.jpg

Is that how it is supposed to be mounted? The little surface mounted green thing that I've posted pictures of earlier.

nWZ5g.jpg

And in this image, there's supposed to be some diodes mounted parallell with the red resistors but I don't know which way they are supposed to be mounted. Which side should the anode/cathode be on?

And then I have two other diodes called this
Diode Zener 10V 500mW DO-35
Diode Zener 13V 500mW DO-35
They're in the same bag, they're the same size and appear to look exactly the same I think. How do I know which is which?
J7WUo.jpg

6VLro.jpg

Surface mount devices are usually mounted so you can read the part number or value, but I don't see why it won't work as long as it has been soldered securely.

Are those power transistors supposed to be mounted like that, metal side up? I guess that would make it possible to install a heat sink.

If there are supposed to be diodes mounted in parallel with the resistors, there should be a diagram or clear written instructions about that. 41Hz should be supplying you with this information. If it isn't clear, they should be updating their docs accordingly.

The diodes have the part numbers printed on them. You can compare them with the b.o.m.

Surface mount devices are usually mounted so you can read the part number or value, but I don't see why it won't work as long as it has been soldered securely.

Are those power transistors supposed to be mounted like that, metal side up? I guess that would make it possible to install a heat sink.

If there are supposed to be diodes mounted in parallel with the resistors, there should be a diagram or clear written instructions about that. 41Hz should be supplying you with this information. If it isn't clear, they should be updating their docs accordingly.

The diodes have the part numbers printed on them. You can compare them with the b.o.m.

I think the power transistors should be like that. Not sure but it feels logical. I'll check the schematics and see if it makes any sense about the diodes.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.