Which glue to use for sub cabinet? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Construction Tips

Construction Tips Construction techniques and tips

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st June 2012, 10:25 PM   #11
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
Even with cleats / glue blocks, I'd not want to rely just on brand nails for a heavy duty sub or PA box (any screws in your Altecs?)
I like to add the glue cleats to one panel first then clamp, nail, release the clamps and move on to the next panel. Super fast and very accurate alignment.

The Altecs used nails. No kidding, the big horn flares alone must have used 200 of them per box.
Old 21st June 2012, 10:51 PM   #12
sreten is offline sreten  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by caper26 View Post
I used hot glue on inside seams for sealing.
Hi,

Any cabinet that needs sealing isn't glued together properly. You should
really end wiping away excess glue to leave a bead along each seam.

rgds, sreten.
Old 22nd June 2012, 12:46 AM   #13
caper26 is offline caper26  Canada
diyAudio Member

there is internal bracing all the way around. I used screws for that the last time. I don't think the corners are going anywhere with those...

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 22nd June 2012, 04:54 AM   #14
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

All yer missin' is the cleats my friend.
Old 22nd June 2012, 07:21 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Default A Somewhat Related Question . . .

Can anybody suggest a realistic shelf-life for the original formula "Titebond Wood Glue"?

I recently pushed a workbench to a new location, and . . . waddayaknow . . . there's a mostly full gallon jug of the stuff hiding back in a corner, behind a bench leg. As best I can guess, it's been there since about 1996. I vaguely recall buying it, and putting some of it into a small squeeze bottle or two (as evidenced by some well-set glue around the cap), but have no recollection of stashing it back in that location. In the early 90's I would probably go through a gallon in 18 months or so, though I probably haven't used even half a gallon in the last 15 years.

Apart from missing a few ounces off the top, the container and cap seem intact. It still flows as a liquid inside the jug, though a bit sluggish. The color appears about right, as seen through the translucent plastic jug.

Is there a chance it's still usable? Yeah, the obvious answer is "Pour off an ounce or so and make a few glue joints.". But it appears the cap has been sealed in place, and I'm afraid that removing the cap will destroy it and then I'll have the problem of finding suitable storage for the glue. Or the aged plastic jug will rupture from attempting to remove the cap and I'll have to clean up a big mess of glue that maybe I should have tossed out rather than even bother with it.

Any ideas what to look for, that would tell me this glue isn't worth bothering with? I think the local price is about $20/gallon, so I'm a little reluctant to simply toss it all out.

Dale
Old 22nd June 2012, 01:48 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchisholm View Post
Can anybody suggest a realistic shelf-life for the original formula "Titebond Wood Glue"?
Can't do that. However, a little thought..

If the plastic container has sucked in over the years, then that means some of the volatiles have diffused through the plastic. If that's the case, the the chemistry is probably not going to work as well as fresh product.

I've had this issue with epoxies, especially hardener components. Because it's chock full of many different chemicals which I cannot even pronounce, and guaranteed they diffuse at different rates through the plastic, what you end up with after cure (assuming it cures at all) will be a material which is compromised.

It boils down to what the cost of failure might be. I'd toss it and get new.

btw, this is the same with liquid fluxes...if the plastic is sucked in as if it was vacuumed, don't use it.

jn
Old 22nd June 2012, 04:43 PM   #17
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

The biggest problem is freezing. If it is stored inside, kept at a decent temperature and it flows nicely without lumps or anything unusual looking, it should be fine. But... it's now 16 years old so use your common sense and do a glue test. It only takes a day to find out if you need a new bottle. If you're worried about rupture, put a bunch of newspaper inside a cardboard box to create a 'bowl'. Don't worry about it spoiling when opening the lid, it is water based so you can always rejuvenate it. If you are worried, point the nozzle of a plant mister in the hole and give 'er a squirt. Just remember to stir it before the next use.
Old 26th June 2012, 01:02 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal Weldon View Post
The biggest problem is freezing. If it is stored inside, kept at a decent temperature and it flows nicely without lumps or anything unusual looking, it should be fine. But... it's now 16 years old so use your common sense and do a glue test. It only takes a day to find out if you need a new bottle. If you're worried about rupture, put a bunch of newspaper inside a cardboard box to create a 'bowl'. Don't worry about it spoiling when opening the lid, it is water based so you can always rejuvenate it. If you are worried, point the nozzle of a plant mister in the hole and give 'er a squirt. Just remember to stir it before the next use.
Ah, thanks Cal. I hadn't considered water based. While I use some, I never have it long enough to worry about shelf life. I only buy small containers.

jn
Old 26th June 2012, 01:38 PM   #19
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Me lik'em big jugs. Less cost per ounce. False economy. Trust me.
Old 26th June 2012, 01:50 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Me lik'em big jugs.
Now now, this is a family forum... (although, hmm..nevermind)

Quote:
Less cost per ounce. False economy. Trust me.
I buy small cause me no gots room. Small basement..

jn

Hide this!Advertise here!