BeoPlay 12-inspired Portable Audio System - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Construction Tips

Construction Tips Construction techniques and tips

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th June 2012, 03:09 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Post Beolit 12-inspired Portable Audio System

I'm planning to build a replica of the beautiful B&O Beolit 12 portable speaker. The speakers will be two 3" fullrange-speakers driven by a 2x15W class-D amp. A 12v battery will power the system. The dimensions of the Beolit 12 are 23 x 18,8 x 13,3 cm. This will be the maximum size of my enclosure with all components inside(battery, amp and wiring). This is not a enthousiast hifi project, it is more of a designproject while trying to get the best sound i can get within the limits of the project. This is the components i've chosen so far:

Amplifier:
2 X 15Watt Class D Audio Amplifier Board - TA2024_Class D Amplifier Board_Audio Amplifier and other Audio Boards_Audio_Sure Electronics' Webstore (Bought)

Speakers:
Tang Band W3-881SJF 3" Full Range Speaker 264-911

Battery:
High quality New DC 12V Portable 9800mAh Li-ion Super Rechargeable Battery Pack | eBay

I am not really sure about the speakers i have chosen. My knowledge of speaker-design is rather limited. High effiency, flat responce curve and has to fit a small box are the criterias for the driver(correct me if i'm wrong). Do you guys have any suggestions for other speakers that will fit my need?

Last edited by Helsethn; 17th June 2012 at 06:58 PM. Reason: Wrong productname
Old 17th June 2012, 07:14 PM   #2
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator R.I.P.

try search the forum for 'boombox' funny word
Old 19th June 2012, 09:31 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinitus View Post
try search the forum for 'boombox' funny word
I've read those, and it's not exactly what i'm looking for. I want something really small and really portable. All the boomboxes out there are enormous and not portable in the way i think of portable. What i'm asking is how i can make the smallest possible speaker with the least compromises in terms of sound quality. Super hifi quality is not a goal.
Old 29th June 2012, 02:27 AM   #4
Brotaku is offline Brotaku  United States
diyAudio Member

I built the microfonkens with fostex fe127 and they are the best size:quality ratio IMHO. They are about 10"x6"x6". It amazes me how much they sound like my frugelhorns but with a little less bass. I always wanted to build a pair connected at their bottoms with a TA2020 amp and a lithium ion battery in between for a great prattle system. Use 9mm Baltic birch to make it light if you want.

Last edited by Brotaku; 29th June 2012 at 02:31 AM.
Old 2nd July 2012, 02:53 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Thank you, I will check out baltic birch. I have now bought a 6800 mah li-po battery from ebay. I hope the voltage is high and stable enough for the amplifier.
Old 3rd February 2013, 06:38 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Small Portable Speaker Covered With Wool

I have now made this and posted it on instructables. Check it out

Hide this!Advertise here!