BeoPlay 12-inspired Portable Audio System

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Beolit 12-inspired Portable Audio System

I'm planning to build a replica of the beautiful B&O Beolit 12 portable speaker. The speakers will be two 3" fullrange-speakers driven by a 2x15W class-D amp. A 12v battery will power the system. The dimensions of the Beolit 12 are 23 x 18,8 x 13,3 cm. This will be the maximum size of my enclosure with all components inside(battery, amp and wiring). This is not a enthousiast hifi project, it is more of a designproject while trying to get the best sound i can get within the limits of the project. This is the components i've chosen so far:

Amplifier:
2 X 15Watt Class D Audio Amplifier Board - TA2024_Class D Amplifier Board_Audio Amplifier and other Audio Boards_Audio_Sure Electronics' Webstore (Bought)

Speakers:
Tang Band W3-881SJF 3" Full Range Speaker 264-911

Battery:
High quality New DC 12V Portable 9800mAh Li-ion Super Rechargeable Battery Pack | eBay

I am not really sure about the speakers i have chosen. My knowledge of speaker-design is rather limited. High effiency, flat responce curve and has to fit a small box are the criterias for the driver(correct me if i'm wrong). Do you guys have any suggestions for other speakers that will fit my need?:)

Last edited:
try search the forum for 'boombox' ;) funny word :D

I've read those, and it's not exactly what i'm looking for. I want something really small and really portable. All the boomboxes out there are enormous and not portable in the way i think of portable. What i'm asking is how i can make the smallest possible speaker with the least compromises in terms of sound quality. Super hifi quality is not a goal.

I built the microfonkens with fostex fe127 and they are the best size:quality ratio IMHO. They are about 10"x6"x6". It amazes me how much they sound like my frugelhorns but with a little less bass. I always wanted to build a pair connected at their bottoms with a TA2020 amp and a lithium ion battery in between for a great prattle system. Use 9mm Baltic birch to make it light if you want.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.