Removing chips from double sided and plated through Circuit boards

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2010
Just for information..

Some years ago I had a large consignment of circuit boards that needed modifying...The problem was that the boards were double sided and the holes were plated through the circuit board (and laquered)

After many attempts to remove and fit new parts (without damaging the track) the decision was made to cut the legs off the chips in the board at the chip so you have the leg still on the board and desolder each leg individually..by holding each cut off leg with long nosed pliers and heat and pull it out of the board then resolder each hole and use a solder sucker to remove the solder and clear the hole before fitting the new parts.

If the parts were not critical or carrying high gain signal a DIL socket was fitted to make future repair easier..the plated through holes made it almost impossible to remove the chip and not damage the board..

Regards
M. Gregg

Last edited:
Been there many times myself. I'll even add... If the old parts aren't to be reused, definitely do the extraction this way. Don't think twice about it. Your life will be much easier.
I find that often times, I can just apply the iron to the leg and pad on the topside of the board and it will stick to the tip and easily come right out.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.