Speaker Box for Camping, HELP! - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Construction Tips

Construction Tips Construction techniques and tips

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st June 2012, 04:55 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Speaker Box for Camping, HELP!

So, I'm not lying when I say, I know very little when it comes to the wiring and powering of speakers. Building the boxes, I can do, it's the wiring that gives me all the trouble.

Im looking to recycle an old trunk speaker box (w/ 2 10 inch subs) into a self sufficient speaker system to supply the soundtrack to my drunken camping trips. ha.

I have the 200 watt amp that I used to power the box in the first place, and also want to add two 6 3/4 speakers - which might be overkill, but they're just laying around, so why not -

Obvioiusly I want it to play from my ipod, soooooo....

What do I need to make this work? Power supply? Battery? CPU power supply?

Once I get the parts running, Ill design the enclosure, untill then, if you can help or point me in the direction of a website, a tutorial meant to show retards how to set something up like this I'd be much obliged.

Thanks in advance!!
Old 1st June 2012, 06:01 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Yes , (Hi ! ) , first of all you'll need electricity. Supposing that you have electronics operating at 12/16 V DC , you 'll need a power supply that pumps a lot ,something like 15-20 A .
At this point , you need to give to each driver the band to reproduce ; choosing a 6 " to reproduce the mid/bass to treble ( There must be a tweeter somewhere ) would lead to set the crossover frequency around 100 Hz ; Crossover points at this low usually takes an electronic crossover ( and one more stereo amplifier ) because it's a critical zone , where inductors ( for low pass ) are big and capacitors ( for highpass ) also .
Old 3rd June 2012, 10:31 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the help so far!! I think. Again, im a retard when it comes to this stuff.
What do I need to make a regular car battery power everything? I purchased a 400 watt power inverter today thinking that should work in theory...but i feel like im missing something. Should there be some sort of power supply between the inverter and amp? Do I even need the inverter?

Once I get power to the amp, I feel like I'll be good to go...Thanks again.
Old 5th June 2012, 01:04 AM   #4
bill_a is offline bill_a  United States
diyAudio Member

Gee, I don't know if helping you is really so smart. I like to go camping and enjoy the sounds of nature, not some bozo's blasting boom box...
Old 5th June 2012, 01:29 AM   #5
sreten is offline sreten  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi,

An inverter allows mains powered equipment to work off a car battery.

If your original amplifier is a car amplifier you don't need the inverter.

Since you have the inverter buy a nice decent mini system and use that,
in your kitchen / bedroom and on your travels seems the most sensible.

rgds, sreten.

Hide this!Advertise here!