Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Construction Tips

Construction Tips Construction techniques and tips

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th May 2012, 11:42 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

Axminster sell some decent chamfer bits. They should do a 20mm or 25mm one on a larger collet size.

N.B. Do not try to do a full 25mm chamfer in one go. Take it down in stages to ensure a nice even finish.

Using a router is definitely the way to go. Borrow one, or rent one if you don't have one. A large 45 degree chamfer bit with serve you for many jobs over the years so try not to worry about the 25 or so price tag.
Old 17th May 2012, 11:53 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

Axminster Part no: 666161 The catalogue says 25.4mm, but the online shop states 20mm. The catalogue is correct IMO, as you can see when you look at the changes in diameter (D41.3=X19 D47.6=X25.4)

Buy Axcaliber Bearing Guided Chamfer Router Cutters from Axminster, fast delivery for the UK

You maye be able to get something larger, or cheaper, off ebay, delivered from the USA.
Old 17th May 2012, 02:20 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Thanks Michael , sounds perfect and better price than I've found so far. Will order one up the end of the month . I do have a fairly decent 1/2 inch router, had the choice of the router and circular saw or a table saw when i was buying tools . B and q always do a pretty good job of cutting my wood to size , so a saw table will have to wait.

Think I've made a mistake of wiring them up now though , i'm not sure im going to want to remove them to finish them off as they sound so good :-)

Steve

Hide this!Advertise here!