how would i make a large chamfer on already built enclosure ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, just wanted to see if anybody could help me with some advice on the best way to create a largish 45 degree chamfer to the edges of some enclosures that im building please :)

I've already glued the enclosures together and now would like to cut a chamfer round all the edges or would be happy with a round over if I could find one big enough for a sensible price . The enclosures are 25mm mdf and would like the depth of the cut to be just deeper than the 25mm thickness of the mdf board .

I've had a practice on some scraps of wood and the results are pretty bad so far :eek:

Thanks
Steve

I made a 1/2 round on the sides on my 25 mm MDF cabinets using a hand plane carefully using a cardboard template to guide me.
Another way is to use a router with a chamfer / bevel cutter. It might be necessary for more than one pass to get the depth though.

Sadly no table saw but I did mark out a table, fences and tops to mount a router and circular saw under the other day. Will have to get if cut out and put together.

Will take a look at the shaper bits.

Hand planer wouldn't be too bad but I've five enclosures to do and four of them are quite large . The centre not that small either.

Best results I had so far was to take a few passes with a circular saw then clamp a pair of straight edges and then sand up to them . Again it would be massively time consuming .

If you go deeper than the thickness of the board, won't you crash through the joint? What kind of joints do you have?

The circular saw route is very tricky. Chances are you will go off line and the chamfer will vary in depth and look crooked.

I would suggest a router with a chamfering bit and a clamp-on aluminum fence. You may even find a chamfering bit with a pilot and be able to skip the fence. I would use one, however, if there is any chance that your cabinet isn't absolutely square.

I would suggest a router with a chamfering bit and a clamp-on aluminum fence. You may even find a chamfering bit with a pilot and be able to skip the fence. I would use one, however, if there is any chance that your cabinet isn't absolutely square.

MLCS has 1" chamfer bits with bearings; short of having a left-tilt table saw, this may be the way to go if you have access to a router. As mentioned, a fence may give you "belt+suspenders" in case you slip. Using a 1/4" shaft with that large of a bit may be a bit sketchy, just take multiple light cuts.

MLCS Chamfer Router Bits

MLCS has 1" chamfer bits with bearings; short of having a left-tilt table saw, this may be the way to go if you have access to a router. As mentioned, a fence may give you "belt+suspenders" in case you slip. Using a 1/4" shaft with that large of a bit may be a bit sketchy, just take multiple light cuts.

MLCS Chamfer Router Bits

how big are the boxes?

in order, my suggestions would be :

table saw - left tilt blade is very helpful, but if not and if the boxes aren't too large, the rip fence might fit on the other side of the blade - if not, you can screw a sacrificial piece and cut into the fence - just keep out of the way of kick-backs

and as badman saws, ensure you don't cut too deep

router table - for anything approaching the amount of material you're planning to remove, several light passes would be preferable - don't even think about a 1/4" shank on this large a bit and ensure enough HP behind it

if you don't have immediate access to either of these, try looking for a local kitchen cabinet shop - you'd be amazed what a pack of cold wobbly pops can get done for you on a Friday afternoon - it'll take less time to set up and cut all 4 long front edges of almost any enclosure I've ever built than to enjoy the beer afterwards.

Should be fine with the joints , just butt joints but should leave me around 20mm of material after I've removed the cut i want .
My enclosures are probably not perfectly square , not far of off but id be lying if i said they were perfect:) id use a guide anyhow, as im pretty new to routering and more confident with something to work from .

No friends with bandsaws either , I don't think my friends own a screwdriver between them !

That chamfer bit would be perfect , struggling to find one in that size here in the uk though .I have found one with a 22mm depth so may have to get that and do the cut in a few passes .

The boxes are pretty big chris they are four of the planet10 mercia for the surrounds and an adapted till-70 2 I think the name was for a centre . Sorry heavy night last night and the plans are out in the workshop at the moment .

I think I'll probably go with the biggest chamfer cutter I can find and make a few passes. Will get my router/saw table cut out and use that .

Thanks for all the suggestions

Steve

Axminster sell some decent chamfer bits. They should do a 20mm or 25mm one on a larger collet size.

N.B. Do not try to do a full 25mm chamfer in one go. Take it down in stages to ensure a nice even finish.

Using a router is definitely the way to go. Borrow one, or rent one if you don't have one. A large 45 degree chamfer bit with serve you for many jobs over the years so try not to worry about the £25 or so price tag.

Thanks Michael , sounds perfect and better price than I've found so far. Will order one up the end of the month . I do have a fairly decent 1/2 inch router, had the choice of the router and circular saw or a table saw when i was buying tools . B and q always do a pretty good job of cutting my wood to size , so a saw table will have to wait.

Think I've made a mistake of wiring them up now though , i'm not sure im going to want to remove them to finish them off as they sound so good :)

Steve

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.