Simple Power Switch Question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Normally only the hot side. NEVER just on the neutral. This leaves the unit attached to neutral at all times. You must use a polarized plug of course. As you said 120V, I am making the big assumption this is North American single phase. If you are two phase, then by all means switch both. (reason to put a country in your profile)

You did not mention what you are building. It is amazing how many big companies do not understand inrush current and have switches way too small for the real load.

Because this question is very basic, please let us know a lot more about what you are doing so we can help you have positive results. (neither you nor the project are fried)

Yes, 120 single phase. I am building an interface to record from my amplifier's speaker output. It works on a breadboard, I'm soldering it into a more permanent home and adding switches. My switch says 3A 125V. I will be near 125V but and my 3/16A fuse hasn't blown yet, so I'm not worried about current. Will that all be ok?

If the fuse was on the side of the switch opposite the mains power, it would not protect you from an electric shock when touching the switch in the case of a switch failure.
Just a suggestion: I always use this power entry module in everything I build
http://www.schurterinc.com/var/schu.../files/document/datasheet/en/pdf/typ_6765.pdf
It has the power cord connector, fuse holder, and switch all in one convenient package. It's even got a feature which makes it impossible to change fuses without disconnecting the power cord.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.