Protect aluminum face! - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Construction Tips

Construction Tips Construction techniques and tips

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th April 2012, 08:44 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Protect aluminum face!

I have been looking for a protecting coat for the face of my aluminum diy amp. I found VHT clear paint also I am thinking using clear polyurethane. Do you know any other way to protect aluminum but it has to be clear.
Old 19th April 2012, 01:50 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Anodizing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 19th April 2012, 02:39 AM   #3
SoIL4x4 is offline SoIL4x4  United States
diyAudio Member

Im using a couple of coats of automotive wax, buffed with a microfiber cloth. Its cheap and finger prints just wipe off.
Old 19th April 2012, 04:16 AM   #4
expert in tautology
diyAudio Member

unless there is some grain to the surface and the aluminum is perfectly free of oils and dirt, it will not be so easy to get a nice looking clear coat to stick.

polyurethane varnish will end up thick and plasticy - try it on scrap first. I don't like it.

Anodizing is tricky, and usually will give a matte finish unless you do some special tricks, ANY flaws in the original piece, even if they are sanded off, or scratches will jump out after anodizing. Best to send out to a metal finisher for anodizing. It's not so cheap any longer, but if you find a local place that you can walk in to, you have a good shot at cheap...

wax I guess is ok, but it often feels a bit oily to the touch... maybe not... anything that gets past the wax will try to etch the surface...

a good quality lacquer may work ok... very thin coat, not the thick stuff that usually comes out of spray cans... most can stuff is just clear acrylic paint. Again test on scrap, and let it dry a week or more before deciding - gotta see how hard it is and if it really holds to the surface.

There are self etching primers now, if you want to go for a paint finish...

Aluminum is difficult to finish, I usually send out and get things anodized, although I have done a coarse grain finish with lacquer on some things, I am not always satisfied with it though.

That's all I have to bring to this party.

_-_-bear
Old 24th May 2012, 03:09 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

I have started sending my aluminum out for powder coating. For panels it's very cheap, really quick and it holds up great. I have seen the diy kits but I'm pretty sure I would never have enough panels done to recoup the one time costs of the equipment. I live just outside of Houston so there are lots of powder coating resources in the area. Good luck.
Old 24th May 2012, 03:56 PM   #6
djQUAN is offline djQUAN  Philippines
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to djQUAN Send a message via Yahoo to djQUAN
If you're going for a brushed look, I used clear coat in rattle can. I think the type was acrylic.

After wet sanding with coarse grit paper, wash with water to remove debris, wipe and air dry then spray a few coats of clear. Seems to stick well to the sanded aluminum.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0126.JPG (124.5 KB, 141 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0130.JPG (58.7 KB, 138 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0132.JPG (60.7 KB, 138 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0135.JPG (62.0 KB, 138 views)
Old 26th May 2012, 07:58 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Default Protection of aluminium face.

Mostly aluminium are coated for corrosion resistance.
One should not use any wax or polish that contains abrasives.
Unprotected aluminium quickly corroded and pit when exposed to excessive moisture.

Hide this!Advertise here!