crossover schematics help

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ive decided I want to build by first DIY speakers. I like the clearwave audio 4t and the jim holtz statements. I was thinking of the monitor speakes since the box is smaller and less speakers to deal with. Here is the Million dollar question.. Ive watched a few youtube videos (mainly parts express tri trix and aviatrix xover demos) Is there any other sources to learn about reading schematics or crossover design? I have built items from wood, metal, and soldered so im confident there. Im just not sure how to put it all together. Are there websites to help or books I can buy? ie. loudspeaker design cookbook.
thanks for helping a newbie.
I mainly need help reading xover schematics. I was leaning toward jim holtz statement monitors. He posted the schematics.

If you know the symbols for capacitor, inductor and resistor, chances are you will know what is in most Xovers. The wiring on them is certainly a lot less complex than an amplifier circuit.

There are many books and tutorials on speaker design and all should have a section devoted to the crossover.

Places like Parts Express sell not only complete crossovers, but they also sell the bare boards, so you can fashion your own. Plus they have charts where you can plug in the impedances of your drivers and the desired crossover frequencies, and it will tell you the value of the parts you need. SO all you need to do there is decide on the part values for each part - and they will be numbered C1, C2, C3, etc., and install them on the board. I highly recommend learning to read schematics and interpret them onto a real board, but that step is not necessary to build this sort of unit.

And even if you want something fancier ultimately, a crossover like that would certainly work well enough for you to decide you like the driver choices you have made in the box you have them in. Nothing prevents you from replacing the whole crossover later or changing parts on the existing one. The crossover doesn;t require special mounting holes like a driver does.

Parts Express has a reasonable selection of Xover parts. I don;t know if Madisound is still around, but I used to buy occasional crossover parts from them years ago. I also use Martin Professional in Ohio, but I think they are wholesale only. I am sure there are others.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.