Cheap tricks for construction.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Dear all,

Many of us DIY audio people started off trying to reduce costs, very soon we released that all this knowledge costs money with experimentation. Lets share some tips on how we reduce costs.

Here is my entry:

Aluminum foil (I did not use plastic backed) can be glued on to wood/cardboard easily with PVA glue. even more surprisingly it seems to stick aluminum foil together too. PVA glue as its cheap and works surprisingly well. PVA glue is known to some Americans I believe as "white" glue. I also found hot glue to work well as well, but is more costly and difficult to use as it sets to fast.

So to make a prototype box, for electronics, select a nice solid cardboard box (Computer motherboard boxes are very nice for this job). Unfold the box, coat the outside with PVA, but keep the folds a glue free. Then apply aluminium foil, leaving a little bunched up at the folds so when it sets it wont have to stretch to much. Rub the aluminum flat, moving the glue into a thin flat surface under the aluminum and then you have a good and very cheap shielded box.

Do remember that PVA glue needs air to set so its best not to do to many layers of aluminum foil and PVA at any one time.

Regards

Owen

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.