diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Construction Tips (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/construction-tips/)
-   -   Is stranded steel hookup wire OK? (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/construction-tips/209674-stranded-steel-hookup-wire-ok.html)

MCPete 27th March 2012 06:05 PM

Is stranded steel hookup wire OK?

Assuming that I want to use insulated stranded hookup wire, not solid, are there any disadvantages to using steel stranded as opposed to copper stranded? Copper stranded is much more commonly available, in my experience anyway. Steel stranded is much cheaper than copper, but it seems that most people shun steel in favor of copper.

By the way, I've never run across solid steel hookup wire. That would be, I suppose, because it wouldn't be very flexible?

Regards, Pete

jackinnj 27th March 2012 06:12 PM

Copper clad steel is used for antennas. I had a "long-wire" made this way but it was destroyed in one of our winter storms.

BZed 27th March 2012 06:18 PM

Its very hard to solder. Use the copper.

stoc005 27th March 2012 06:18 PM

I believe the soldering is somewhat poorer for steel.

Nice troll otherwise.....
I'm sure it will ignite arguments about steel wire sounding "hard".

marce 28th March 2012 11:15 AM

copper clad solid core is used for CATV and similar cables, it can be pulled through the conduit better.

Juergen Knoop 28th March 2012 11:39 AM

Quote:

Steel stranded is much cheaper than copper
have never seen any steel hookup wires. Who sells those hookup wires?

simon7000 28th March 2012 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Juergen Knoop (Post 2963294)
have never seen any steel hookup wires. Who sells those hookup wires?

I have had telephone wire that a magnet would stick to! (Sold as copper.)

Copper clad steel wire was of military importance in the '40s.

Many if not most capacitors today use copper clad steel wire leads! It is something serious audio folks try to avoid.

overtheairbroadcast 28th March 2012 01:49 PM

Just how much wire are we talking about? Are you re-wiring your house or wiring up a headphone amp?

If you are dealing with hundreds of metres or kilometres, then the price difference might be of significant. I wouldn't want to be the one pulling through the joists... Plus, if you are re-wiring your house, you might want to look into the local building and safety codes for electrical -- I know where I live the authorities want solid 14/2 copper over other things (like aluminum wire, cloth jacketed, and BX is a no go, and believe it, there are actually people still using that stuff because they find it at a garage/dump sale).

jackinnj 28th March 2012 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by simon7000 (Post 2963420)
Copper clad steel wire was of military importance in the '40s.

It was a simple invention -- one side used a precise and beautifully engineered connector for their field telephones -- the other used copper-clad which could be twisted together in a "pinch".

BZed 28th March 2012 03:31 PM

Copper is a better conductor than steel. Steel is much stronger under pull like in phone wires or antennas. Copper clad steel is used for applications that the wire is under that I kind of pulling force an still needs the conductivity of the copper.