Anyone know how to use these banana plugs? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Construction Tips

Construction Tips Construction techniques and tips

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th March 2012, 09:51 PM   #1
robbbby is offline robbbby  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Anyone know how to use these banana plugs?

I bought some banana plugs over at PCX, it's their brand of connectors, "locking" style"

Hopefully i'm allowed to link to them..
Connex Banana plug, gold plated, WBT style

Anyways the two little set screws on them are fairly short and don't grab the wire, just fall into the body. Now I noticed (after buying), that the description says "10 ga bare wire screw", now i'm not sure if that is a minimum wire size? Regardless, I found a small screwdriver with a diameter larger than 10awg cable, the screws barely touch it then fall in, I don't even think it would work with 8awg stranded after the screws start crushing and tightening down on the wire.

Anyways, I figured I was maybe doing something wrong so was hoping somebody here may have possibly used these connectors before.

Thanks
Old 27th March 2012, 04:21 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Go to the same website as posted

select banana plugs

select WBT

select " dimensional drawing -PDF "

It would seem your are meant to crimp a sleeve over the wire first " WBT style " .
Old 27th March 2012, 04:41 PM   #3
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

And then use the set screw closest to the pin to secure the crimped wire and the other set screw to secure the insulation.

Yikes! I'd be tempted to double back the wire and just use the set screw onto the wire.
Old 27th March 2012, 08:45 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

If you double the wire it still needs to be tinned so that is doesn't crush, the screws are so short that you need at least #6awg conductors.

Crimping a sleeve on may be an idea, but what kind of sleeve?
Old 28th March 2012, 02:50 AM   #5
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Honestly, if you have to add a crimped sleeve then the connection doesn't seem very sound to me.
Old 28th March 2012, 03:07 AM   #6
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

I usually have to double back the wire and tin it with connections like these. Maybe not ideal, but it works and is solid.
Old 28th March 2012, 02:37 PM   #7
oktyabr is offline oktyabr  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbbby View Post
If you double the wire it still needs to be tinned so that is doesn't crush, the screws are so short that you need at least #6awg conductors.

Crimping a sleeve on may be an idea, but what kind of sleeve?
I use this style of banana plug all the time. The locking feature is quite good. Doubling the wire works, if it's twisted tight enough. The first screw, the one that hits bare wire, is intended to make sure the wire has a good contact, it is not intended to secure the wire inside the plug. It does not need to be tight enough to "crush" the wire and one method you can use is to fold the bare wire back along the insulator and then make sure that the insulator is facing the screws. The second, longer screw is also intended to contact the insulator and will secure the wire inside the plug.

12 gauge (approx.) Monster Powerline 2 and Canare 4s11 (14 AWG) work well with these.

You might also find that the wire can be pressed or twisted quite far into the plug. Someone on another forum said that the plugs they had actually had a sort of thread in there that the bare wire could screw into, like the little plastic twist connectors used in home construction wiring. The ones I have do not have this feature but the wire can still be pressed quite firmly into that channel.

Last edited by oktyabr; 28th March 2012 at 02:41 PM.
Old 28th March 2012, 07:50 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Good idea oktyabr, might try folding it over the insulator opposite the screws and then tighten the two screws down on the insulator having it push the copper against the body on the other side.
Old 29th March 2012, 09:30 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal Weldon View Post
Honestly, if you have to add a crimped sleeve then the connection doesn't seem very sound to me.
Why not?
Crimped ferrules are often used with stranded wire in industrial and military equipment.

Hide this!Advertise here!