VU meter tower. need advice

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have the tower it self built already and it can be viewed in the attachment. The design is based off this vid:

LED VU Meter - YouTube

I was wondering what are all the components I need to fit it with. I heard about the LM3916 circuit but dont understand how to apply it to a tower. I also heard that arduinos are good to use and am willing to program.

All in all I was looking for someone more experienced then myself to give me a play by play on everything I would need to buy to make this come to formation.

Attachments

• photo (5).JPG
    photo (5).JPG
    542.3 KB · Views: 352
Last edited:
I would go with a driver chip that has hysteresis. The first youtube one doesn't have it, but the Conn Dynalevel looks like it does. (The LM3916 doesn't have it built in but I have seen a design with an opamp front end that accomplishes it.)
The Samsung KA2288 does have it but its only 7 LEDs.

Last edited:
experience: I can do basic breadboard work. i can soder for example if i could modify some prebuilt board. I know how to program an arduino. I can solve for voltages and currents and resistance according to my B+ in circuits class :cool:.

Budget: 80$ ish

Ten columns, with one pretty bright led each to disperse throughout the frosted
12 inch by 4 inch plexiglass

LED brightness: Not sure how how the lumen unit scales in regards to brightness when purchasing without seeing them in person.

AC current

Last edited:
Here is a circuit from an old German mag that should do the trick. The beauty is that you can add LEDs(for brightness) as each row/column is driven be a transistor. Seeing that you have a guitar in the pix you may want to adjust the frequency bands to the output of that instruments (no need to have 31 or 16kHz displays) E

Attachments

• RTA10Band.jpg
    RTA10Band.jpg
    879 KB · Views: 301
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.