Great page for learning chassis fabrication

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
A file brush is only so good. I can spend hours with a nail picking out the aluminum. I'm going to try the chalk. - Thanks Karsten!

Anyway, you should really check out this guy's computer case. It's some of the most
impressive work I have ever seen, done it a hacksaw, homemade brake, drill press and scroll saw. I learned a boatload about home chassis fabrication.

Cygnus X1. - Page 36 - Overclockers Australia Forums

I think he lays masking tape onto the aluminum and draws his pattern on it. I have seen people spray adhesive onto the back of laser prints and lay them onto the metal. I agree about the clamps. Seems to be an Aussie standard.

I've been taping graph paper to the metal. It does look like he's using some kind of tape, but most of the tapes I know of are not that good for marking. The surface of the tape is too rough and doesn't take ink very well. Maybe there's a special tape they use? I think the pros use bluing and put scratches on the metal to outline cuts and bends.

Yeah, I was at the Home Depot today and didn't find any kind of tape that would work well as something to write on.

I bought a spring powered punch and a scribe, as well as other stuff. I don't see what's wrong with just writing right on the metal, unless you make mistakes I guess...

I'm surprised he doesn't use a nibbler also. How does he glue the paper to the aluminum sheet? It's really strange to see EXACTLY the same plastic clamps that I have in photos from Australia.

You can get repositionable adhesives and use any paper. 3M, others sell it. This is the kind of stuff an airbrush artist would use. The adhesive is not weak, it just is not permanent and doesn't leave any residue or is easily cleaned with a wipe. Some people use rubber cement but there is a trick to even application for very precise positioning and marking.

Proper term for the material you can mark and then cut out for spray masking is "frisket", which might help in a search. You can make a frisket yourself with paper and repositional adhesive or buy clear plastic self-adhesive frisket material by the roll. The plastic will take any marker or pencil and is designed to be cleanly cut with a knife without damaging the underlying paint surface.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.