Speaker Enclosure Wiring Question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am interested in building a pair of transmission line (TQWT) speaker enclosures (single-fold Voit pipe) and I have a question regarding the internal wiring between the full range driver and the binding posts. Should the wiring be secured to the inside of the enclosure? I will be using 14 gauge stranded, tinned OFC, 182-strand count.

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
> Should the wiring be secured to the inside of the enclosure?

I favor burying it in the stuffing.

The worst-case would be insufficient fastening to enclosure.... it can slap. Only happened to me once, but it drove me mad for a long time until I figured it out.

It doesn't need to be. What FR are you using? For most 14g is quite overkill. We regularily use 24g solid.

dave

The FR I'm using is the Merrill DCA5.5 (cast basket) and the enclosure is actually a tapered 8th wave tube design by Ronnie Thackeray of Carolina Audio that was originally for a Feastrex D5NF. I will post pictures as soon as the cabinets are finished.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The FR I'm using is the Merrill DCA5.5 (cast basket) and the enclosure is actually a tapered 8th wave tube design

I never realized that some DCA5.5s were cast basket. Got pictures?

A line may be 1/8th wavelength of something (say Fs?), but as long as one end is closed and one is open it acts as a 1/4 wave resonator.

In general, for the DCA i'd is 20+ g solid wire. What kind of amp are you using?

dave

Here are photos of the cast basket DCA5.5
http://www.flickr.com/photos/76563585@N03/6871034267/in/photostream
http://www.flickr.com/photos/76563585@N03/6871034015/in/photostream

The amp I will be using is the Charlize2 but I am considering (2) PopPulse T-150Pro TA2022 amps in mono block configuration. By the way, I already own the previous model DCA5.5 (stamped baskets) in custom bass reflex cabinets built by Fritz Heiler of fritzspeakers and they sound amazing. I posted a video on you.tube with the speakers powered by a new Topping TP20 MK2 TA2020 amp: Topping TP20 MK2 TA2020 Tripath Amp - YouTube

Last edited:
It says 'This is a proprietary design by Ronald Thackeray of Carolina Audio'
in the description of the pic in the Photostream page.
:eek:

Ronnie is a friend of mine and he gave me permission to use his design for my personal speakers. :)

Here one of the finished boxes in baltic birch plywood...they sound amazing.

Attachments

• IMG_1479.JPG
    IMG_1479.JPG
    45.5 KB · Views: 85
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.