Ideas For Getting Piano Black Finish

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I would really like to get a high gloss black finish on these burch boxes that I am building. Does anyone have any ideas on how to do this? Maybe VERY thin plexy glass would be an option?

I had a pair of commercial floor standing speaker cabinets re-finished in a high gloss black paint. The cabinet shop buffed the finish to a mirror like shine, but the sharp right angle cabinet corners proved problematic, as buffing caused the finish to become thin and lose it's high gloss at the corners. If possible, I suggest to use 'quarter round' style radiused corners if you will be building the cabinets yourself.

Last edited:
Vertical grade Formica.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

not really a fan of the high gloss solid colors look myself, but the plastic laminate route has definitely got to be the least time consuming method - and likely lowest in materials cost as well

be aware that it's freaking hard to wrap around any radius edge with DIY gear, and just be really careful with your trimming

Piano grade gloss black finishes require filling the wood grain, careful sanding, repeating to grain is filled. Then primer and sand with 320 until flat, repeat until no blemishes exist. Small blemishes may be filled with spot putty. Then spray black, sanding with 400 or better until blemishes are gone, them final black coat, wet-sand, buff, polish using automotive polishing glaze until high shine is achieved.

For your speakers, you can get close by filling the grain with sanding sealer and then sanding smooth. Then primer and sand smooth, repeat till surface is blemish free. Black topcoat, wetsand to 600, respray and repeat if you burn through. Let it dry really well, then topcoat with clear gloss lacquer. Let dry really well (days) and polish if you want it glossier.

I will warn you though, unless you have a an dust free environment, perfect high gloss finishes are impossible.

You could use gloss black vinyl but it would be very fragile....best bet would be to take them to a auto body shop and have them shoot your cabinets.

much prep and many color and/or clear top coats, sanded between down to micron grit levels for a 1st class gloss paint job - can easily cost several hundreds of dollars of material and shop time

or any of the half a dozen domestic brands of plastic laminate - most high gloss finishes will have a protective peel coat - use them

your prep sanding needs to be almost a fastidious as for a paint job, and roll or spray fine layers of contact to each surface, otherwise joints or glue lumps will telegraph through - high gloss is very unforgving

2MuchRiceMakesMeSick;
You could try the method used by kitchen cabinetmakers which entails applying enamel paint with a fine foam roller. Dilute the paint a little (maybe 10%) and roller each side with the panel lying horizontal. Needs a good dust free environment, which was my problem but this can get pretty close to high gloss. An alternative method is to roller on paint straight out of the can, give it a couple of coats. This covers most scratches, woodgrain, etc. You can do most faces at the same time. You will end up with a lightly dimpled surface which you then rub back with wet&dry (wet). Remember to cover all exposed wood as MDF and particleboard will swell and crumble with moisture. After you have a dull black but smooth finish go over it with black, spraypainted. If you know someone with a large compressor and spray gun, great. If not you could try out of the rattlecan.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.