Removing enamel from magnet wire

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
There was some discussion on this somewhere on the tube preamp thread at
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/tubes-valves/207544-ecc82-12au7-line-preamp-15.html

The video looks a bit dangerous as concentrated HCL in a bottle cap is 'asking' for a catastrophe to happen ! Unless that is HCL used for household cleaning purposes. It is still bad as it fumes and can cause burns on the skin and eyes ! Not to mention burned clothes and furniture !

Well it looks like ALL methods to remove the enamel are fraught with danger if we use chemicals.

I went searching for the supplier who sold me the enamel stripper liquid many years ago. He has shut shop and moved. But I did find another supplier. The solvent is called E-Sol ( copper wire enamel remover).
Key ingredients are listed as Methylene Chloride and Phenylic Acid.
It sure removes the enamel fast and no heating required or application of any force. Just wipe clean after a minute or two. However the liquid seems as dangerous as concentrated HCL or worse (?).
NOT FOR NEWBIES !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
If you aren't a careful person do not bother to try it ! Your work spot should also be a clean area otherwise spilled liquid could cause disaster.

Sy any comments on the chemicals ? Wonder what else they have in it . Let me know what all to check for. The list only says 'key' ingredients...not all of them. I'll put up some pictures later. No time just now.

Edit: Text on the label is interesting. says " Warning: Highly corrosive to skin. No liability accepted for accidents arising in handling or in use . For Industrial use only."

Last edited:
post2 link.
Where is it supposed to go to?

The link took me to post151, which does not discuss enamel removal.

Should have gone to post 148 on page 15 of the ECC82/12AU7 Line Preamp thread under 'tubes'. Some posts might be a bit earlier and some after....didn't look at it again !

I just posted here to say that I got the liquid that stripped enamel. I'm afraid I haven't yet had time to open the bottle and take some pics of what the reaction looks like while it strips the enamel . Will do it soon.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.