What drill bit size to use? - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Construction Tips

Construction Tips Construction techniques and tips

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th January 2012, 02:03 AM   #21
diyAudio Member

If you have 12 year old JD it's been sitting in the liquor cabinet waaaay too long!!
Old 10th January 2012, 03:25 AM   #22
Lavcat is offline Lavcat  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinylkid58 View Post
Larger.

jeff

Thanks, but by how much exactly. I'm sitting here with the 23rd edition of Machinery's Handbook. I know the answer is probably in there somewhere but I cannot find it.
Old 10th January 2012, 06:49 AM   #23
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lavcat View Post
Thanks, but by how much exactly.
0.010-0.015" is usually fine. I remember buying the 23rd edition when it was new. How time flies.

jeff
Old 10th January 2012, 06:59 AM   #24
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Thanks, but by how much exactly. I'm sitting here with the 23rd edition of Machinery's Handbook. I know the answer is probably in there somewhere but I cannot find it.
Do you want a "close fit" or a "free fit"?

Tapping and clearance hole table
Old 10th January 2012, 07:13 AM   #25
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 454Casull View Post
Do you want a "close fit" or a "free fit"?

Tapping and clearance hole table

Close fit. Stanford I see does not do metric.
Old 10th January 2012, 07:25 AM   #26
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinylkid58 View Post
0.010-0.015" is usually fine. I remember buying the 23rd edition when it was new. How time flies.

jeff
So then something like a 0.1260 inch drill?

Edit: I found this chart that says 0.125 inch.

http://www.physics.harvard.edu/servi...hreadChart.pdf

But what would a more metric person do?

Last edited by Lavcat; 10th January 2012 at 07:44 AM.
Old 10th January 2012, 10:21 AM   #27
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

******* hell!!!
An M3 bolt/thread is 3mm nominal outside diameter. But the tips of the male thread are rounded. I can't recall the radius, but it will be in the data.
The M3 bolt thread will pass through a clean exactly 3mm diameter hole.
The shank of a M3 bolt will be 3mm +-tolerance. That tolerance may make for a very tight fit, or a very slack fit in an exactly 3mm diameter hole. But the hole also has tolerances. Not least, that a 3mm drill measures smaller than 3.000mm.

0.126" = 3.2004mm
0.125" = 3.175mm
You could throw an M3 at these hole diameters and there's a good chance that the thread will fall through.

Wake up and get your calculators out, if you can't visualise 3mm.
Old 10th January 2012, 01:42 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

Quote:
There is no single correct answer for this one - in fastener engineering (my 1st job in the auto industry) this decision is driven by two factors. The larger the clearance hole the easier assembly will go (assuming there are multiple fasteners) as the larger clearance allows for slight misalignment in hole locations between the mating pieces while still passing the fastener. The smaller clearance hole provides more load bearing area (the area between the OD of the fastener head and the ID of the clearance hole) which is critical in highly stressed attachments to avoid brinnelling of the surface under the fastener head, which can compromise the attachment.

Generally in our hobby we rarely encounter highly stressed attachments carrying large cyclic loads...perhaps to some extent in some speaker structures. So you want to basically decide with what precision you are able to locate the holes in the two (or more) mating pieces. If you can work to +/- 0.1 mm in locating and drilling all of the holes relative to design location then you will need 0.2 mm of clearance to allow all of the fasteners to pass. When finished this would provide a workmanlike appearance.

One way to get nice results while sort of cheating this process is to drill all of the holes in one of the mating parts, clamp them together in design relationship, and use a transfer punch to locate the hole centers in the mating part. A transfer punch has an OD matched to the clearance hole size and a point in the center. This way the small errors in hole location on the 1st part get duplicated on the second and you can use a tight clearance hole since you are not trying to allow for the two errors to stack at each hole.
Old 10th January 2012, 05:05 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewT View Post
******* hell!!!
An M3 bolt/thread is 3mm nominal outside diameter. But the tips of the male thread are rounded. I can't recall the radius, but it will be in the data.
The M3 bolt thread will pass through a clean exactly 3mm diameter hole.
The shank of a M3 bolt will be 3mm +-tolerance. That tolerance may make for a very tight fit, or a very slack fit in an exactly 3mm diameter hole. But the hole also has tolerances. Not least, that a 3mm drill measures smaller than 3.000mm.

0.126" = 3.2004mm
0.125" = 3.175mm
You could throw an M3 at these hole diameters and there's a good chance that the thread will fall through.

Wake up and get your calculators out, if you can't visualise 3mm.

I used to be a scientist, I can visualize 3 mm. If not I have my Mitutoyo machinist's ruler sitting here. Three millimeters is approximately a third of a barleycorn for what it's worth.

My plan is to make a reamed hole. Reamers are expensive and I was hoping to get the correct size the first time rather than going for trial and error.

What 3 mm bit measures smaller than 3.000mm? Where I have seen a diameter tolerance listed it is usually +something, -zero.
Old 10th January 2012, 05:10 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
And what exactly are you doing with those 3mm holes? Are you building a rocket?
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC

Hide this!Advertise here!