DIY MP3 radio - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Construction Tips

Construction Tips Construction techniques and tips

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th January 2012, 10:41 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default DIY MP3 radio

I would like to build a MP3 radio for my brother as a birthday gift.

I came across this Mp3 decoder on Ebay.
Click the image to open in full size.

I would like to use PE brand 2x100W @ 4 Ohm TK2050 Class-D Audio Amplifier Board.

To power the MP3 decoder and the amplifier I am looking at 24 VDC 14.6A 350W Regulated Switching Power Supply.

The decoder requires a DC 3.5-5v input. The amplifier requires a DC 10-32v input. I think I can directly wire the amplifier to the power supply. How do I wire the MP3 decoder to that power supply?
Old 8th January 2012, 10:55 PM   #2
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quick answer, you can't. Not directly. You'll need a 5V regulator for the MP3 section. You can make one pretty easily.

That's a LOT of power supply for that rig. You might be able to find something smaller, cheaper and that has both 24V and 5V. It won't hurt to have a big power supply, but it will take up some space, for sure.

Cool find on the player, BTW.
Old 8th January 2012, 11:06 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Will you recommend a power supply or know of plans that I can build one?
Old 8th January 2012, 11:08 PM   #4
diyAudio Moderator

Check some of the electronic surplus houses online (Google will help). eBay is also a good source of power supplies.
Old 8th January 2012, 11:45 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Would this be a good step down voltage regulator to use in this sePololu D15V70F5S3 Step-Down Voltage Regulator - RobotShoptup?
Old 9th January 2012, 06:47 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

I would like to get this project started. Will the step down regulator I posted work well with the above power supply? Or will someone recommend a power supply that does all that I need?

Thank you.
Old 9th January 2012, 07:12 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

All you need is a simple 78L05 regulator - 3 pin regulator for the MP3 decoder.

If you get yourself a 10A 24V supply for the Class D amp(s), the 78L05 will accept the 24V input and give you 5V for the MP3 part.

Simply look up 7805 regulator datasheet. It can be hooked up Point-to-Point or rigged on a simple Veroboard - they are so easy to use.

If you want to get clever you can try an LM317 which just needs two extra components - again easy to use.
Old 9th January 2012, 08:54 PM   #8
diyAudio Moderator

Yes, just get yourself a 7805 or 78L05. I think even Radio Shack has them. Very easy to hook up. You'll find tons of info on the web. It's all you need to go from 24V to 5V.
It's got three legs. In, Out and ground. You just need a small cap on the in and out. 24V in, 5V out and ground.
Here's an overview.
http://www.national.com/mpf/LM/LM78M05.html#Overview
Old 9th January 2012, 08:59 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

I would use a 78M05 or even a 78T05 just to be on the safe side.

The letter in the middle of 78*05 is its current rating. A 78M05 may not have the current capacity that you require. The data on the MP3 decoder doesnt state the current requirement. If you go for the 78L05 you've got 100mA the M is 500mA and the T is 1.5A. (T might even be 3A just read the datasheet - the letter indicates the maximum current)

You'll need to experiment to see if it needs a heatsink.

I'd use the LM317 as it has protection against over current and overtemperature.

Last edited by KatieandDad; 9th January 2012 at 09:19 PM.
Old 9th January 2012, 11:22 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieandDad View Post
All you need is a simple 78L05 regulator - 3 pin regulator for the MP3 decoder.

If you get yourself a 10A 24V supply for the Class D amp(s), the 78L05 will accept the 24V input and give you 5V for the MP3 part.

Simply look up 7805 regulator datasheet. It can be hooked up Point-to-Point or rigged on a simple Veroboard - they are so easy to use.

If you want to get clever you can try an LM317 which just needs two extra components - again easy to use.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pano View Post
Yes, just get yourself a 7805 or 78L05. I think even Radio Shack has them. Very easy to hook up. You'll find tons of info on the web. It's all you need to go from 24V to 5V.
It's got three legs. In, Out and ground. You just need a small cap on the in and out. 24V in, 5V out and ground.
Here's an overview.
LM78M05 - 3-Terminal Positive Voltage Regulators
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieandDad View Post
I would use a 78M05 or even a 78T05 just to be on the safe side.

The letter in the middle of 78*05 is its current rating. A 78M05 may not have the current capacity that you require. The data on the MP3 decoder doesnt state the current requirement. If you go for the 78L05 you've got 100mA the M is 500mA and the T is 1.5A. (T might even be 3A just read the datasheet - the letter indicates the maximum current)

You'll need to experiment to see if it needs a heatsink.

I'd use the LM317 as it has protection against over current and overtemperature.
Excellent recommendations! Thank you very much.

I am researching the LM317 and have found this video helpful.

Should the heat generated from the LM317 with a 24v input and a 5v output be a concern?

Hide this!Advertise here!