Using different Metals for one Case - small Currents likely to flow?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello to all,
I am modifying and redesigning a cd-player and amp. The already existing chassis is folded steel,
knobs and front panels will be made from anodized aluminium.
For the bottom and top plates, I would like to use brass, because it can be easily more easily weldered /soldered/painted than aluminium.
But looong time ago, I somehow learned in school, that metals have their own electrical potential (I hope this term is correct).
There should be small currents flowing between the more precious brass /steel to the lesser precious aliminium.
So to say, I am building a weak battery.
Am I correct with this assumption?
Any real world effects?
Even thought the anodizing layer on the aluminium isolates,
there will be electrical connections because of screws.
So all metals will interact.
All the best,
Salar

Last edited:
If the mechanical connection provides sufficient electrical connection, you are not likely to develop any potential. If you lived on the coast and it sat for 20 years. maybe some corrosion. You could always run a length of tape between the joints if you are really concerned.

When two dissimilar metals come in contact a process called electrolysis comes into play.it is especially prevalent between copper/brass and other metals. The main effect that I have witnessed is corrosion at the contact point. I don't know how the anodizing process will will affect it inyour situation. I would definetly coat any contacting surfaces. Heat seems to hasten the process. Thermocouples use dissimilar metals in their construction and in their function when heat is applied to them they generate millivolts.

Last edited:
I would not go through the expense of anodizing, but for general information, anodizing is an aluminum ceramic that is a insulator. A company I worked for in the 80's even went as far as relying on it for heat sinks to transistor case to get extra margin out of the thermal path. Worked in the lab, but was spotty in production. The gentleman's question is solved by nothing more than a strip of packing tape.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.