New Guy Alert! - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Construction Tips

Construction Tips Construction techniques and tips

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th December 2011, 03:20 AM   #1
dsibb is offline dsibb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default New Guy Alert!

Hi guys,
I am new to this site and new to building amps. I was wondering if anyone could direct me to the best place to start. I am a wood worker and I would like to make unique one-off amp but I have no idea whee to start. Please Help!
Old 14th December 2011, 03:27 AM   #2
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsibb View Post
Hi guys,
I am new to this site and new to building amps. I was wondering if anyone could direct me to the best place to start. I am a wood worker and I would like to make unique one-off amp but I have no idea whee to start. Please Help!
Hi New Guy!

First tell us whether you want to build a chip amp, solid state (transistor) amp or a tube amp, and I can guarantee plenty of members will chime in with their suggestions..

Welcome to the forum!
Old 14th December 2011, 04:03 AM   #3
49 - for the 18th time
diyAudio Member

Hi New Guy!!! and Welcome to diyAudio!!!

I'm going to turn things around a little bit for you so you can understand where we are coming from when we start to pester you with a lot of questions - so bare with me for a second.........

Hi - I'm new to all of this wood working stuff and building speaker cabinets. I was wondering if anyone could direct me to the best place to start. I am a electronics technician and I would like to make unique one-off speaker cabinets but I have no idea whee to start. Please Help!

Well - if I asked a question like that you would probably ask me what sort of tools I have around - do I have any experience or training in woodworking - how big and what sort of cabinet do I want to build, etc.

Sooooooo - I have a couple of questions for you - what sort of tools and test equipment do you have around (or perhaps borrow from a friend) and do you have any training or experience around things electronic? Do you know how to solder?

Don't worry if you don't have any of the tools or knowledge available - we can show you how to go about getting the knowledge and skills necessary - and we love doing that kind of thing for folks that are new to the hobby. But - speaking for myself - I (we) need an idea of which direction to point you in to get you started.
Old 14th December 2011, 12:06 PM   #4
dsibb is offline dsibb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the reply's guys! I really don't know where to start. I was kind of hoping that someone could make a suggestion where I should start ie easiest type of amp to make ect. I have a pretty basic knowledge of electronics but would like to learn more!
Thanks again
Devon
Old 14th December 2011, 03:44 PM   #5
Alfonz is offline Alfonz  Bulgaria
diyAudio Member

Hi!
IMHO one of the easiest amp to build is point to point wiring LM3875 / LM1875.
In this forum is full of projects with this cute IC's. (Check out Chip amp section).

GL!
Old 14th December 2011, 03:49 PM   #6
6L6 is offline 6L6  United States
diyAudio Member

A chipamp is a great place to start. One of our members has a commercial site, Audiosector.com , and there is good information there.

Also you can find a Audiosector page in this website, under 'vendor forums'.
Old 22nd December 2011, 06:00 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

What do you really mean by "unique one-of" amp? I'm guessing you mean a case. Unless you're serious about learning how to design an amp, then how to construct one.
Old 25th December 2011, 06:04 AM   #8
dangus is offline dangus  Canada
diyAudio Member

I suggest buying a kit, maybe one that doesn't include a case. Or an amp module, then install it in a case that you build or buy. Depending on how much power you want, there's some very cheap digital amp modules which offer a lot of sound value for money. Search ebay for TA202*, or browse the digital amp forum for ideas.
Old 25th December 2011, 07:37 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsibb View Post
Hi guys,
I am a wood worker and I would like to make unique one-off amp but I have no idea whee to start.
First of all amplifier of a good quality better be in a metal chassis.

Regarding unique look I liked Uni Sea liquid cooled

The Best High-End Audio Accessories for your iPod at HE 2006: BigPictureBigSound

http://vongaylordaudio.com/beta/wp-c...2010/08/01.jpg

Graaf GM 200 was reviewed by Graphis in "Industrial Design Highlights"

21st-Graaf GM 200 Amplifier and 13.5b Preamplifier

Also Italian Unison Research amps are very attractive Sinfonia – Unison Research
Old 25th December 2011, 07:43 AM   #10
ODougbo is offline ODougbo  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Hello Fellow Woodworker

You’re in the right place if you want to lean about DIY speakers/amplifiers. It will be interesting to see what you put together.

What comes to mind as far as a “amplifier build” (and I only found out about this a couple of weeks ago), check this out: Pete Millett's DIY Audio pages

Btw, You can “gussy up” a metal chassis with some nice wood and wood finish.

Last edited by ODougbo; 25th December 2011 at 07:47 AM. Reason: Btw

Hide this!Advertise here!