New Guy Alert!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi guys,
I am new to this site and new to building amps. I was wondering if anyone could direct me to the best place to start. I am a wood worker and I would like to make unique one-off amp but I have no idea whee to start. Please Help!

Hi New Guy!

First tell us whether you want to build a chip amp, solid state (transistor) amp or a tube amp, and I can guarantee plenty of members will chime in with their suggestions..

Welcome to the forum!

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Hi New Guy!!! and Welcome to diyAudio!!!:D:D:D

I'm going to turn things around a little bit for you so you can understand where we are coming from when we start to pester you with a lot of questions - so bare with me for a second.........

Hi - I'm new to all of this wood working stuff and building speaker cabinets. I was wondering if anyone could direct me to the best place to start. I am a electronics technician and I would like to make unique one-off speaker cabinets but I have no idea whee to start. Please Help!

Well - if I asked a question like that you would probably ask me what sort of tools I have around - do I have any experience or training in woodworking - how big and what sort of cabinet do I want to build, etc.

Sooooooo - I have a couple of questions for you - what sort of tools and test equipment do you have around (or perhaps borrow from a friend) and do you have any training or experience around things electronic? Do you know how to solder?

Don't worry if you don't have any of the tools or knowledge available - we can show you how to go about getting the knowledge and skills necessary - and we love doing that kind of thing for folks that are new to the hobby. But - speaking for myself - I (we) need an idea of which direction to point you in to get you started. ;)

Thanks for the reply's guys! I really don't know where to start. I was kind of hoping that someone could make a suggestion where I should start ie easiest type of amp to make ect. I have a pretty basic knowledge of electronics but would like to learn more!
Thanks again
Devon

I suggest buying a kit, maybe one that doesn't include a case. Or an amp module, then install it in a case that you build or buy. Depending on how much power you want, there's some very cheap digital amp modules which offer a lot of sound value for money. Search ebay for TA202*, or browse the digital amp forum for ideas.

Hi guys,
I am a wood worker and I would like to make unique one-off amp but I have no idea whee to start.

First of all amplifier of a good quality better be in a metal chassis.

Regarding unique look I liked Uni Sea liquid cooled

The Best High-End Audio Accessories for your iPod at HE 2006: BigPictureBigSound

http://vongaylordaudio.com/beta/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/01.jpg

Graaf GM 200 was reviewed by Graphis in "Industrial Design Highlights"

21st-Graaf GM 200 Amplifier and 13.5b Preamplifier

Also Italian Unison Research amps are very attractive Sinfonia – Unison Research

Hello Fellow Woodworker

You’re in the right place if you want to lean about DIY speakers/amplifiers. It will be interesting to see what you put together.

What comes to mind as far as a “amplifier build” (and I only found out about this a couple of weeks ago), check this out: Pete Millett's DIY Audio pages

Btw, You can “gussy up” a metal chassis with some nice wood and wood finish.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.