Speaker stands

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi. Im looking to build some stands for some KEF Cresta 1s.
I have search for this a fair bit but not found much.
Most speaker stands have a top plate design that will close in the bottom of the speaker. Some higher end stands like the Epos st12i have an open frame top. What, if any, are the advantages in having the standard top plate design.
in my opinion it is like putting a speaker on a shelf or stuffing it in to a corner.
surly as long as the open frame is sturdy like the Epos this will open up the sound?

I have hung speakers and used stands. I find I prefer the stands. It may have just been perception, but I found I did not like the bass when hung.

A top plate means it is easy to put any old speaker on it. Nothing else.

Typically I will make a hollow pillar about 5 inches square, top and bottom plate to look good, and fill it with sand. I am using a pair of Vietnamese ceramic elephants for my stands in my living room right now.

Being "open" to the room is too simplistic. Everything in the environment matters. If you are serious about imaging, absorbers on the front wall is what you need. You will take a series double-take the first time you hear sounds from several feet outside of the speakers. Bug TV screens and the accouterments of life all make imaging in a real room highly individual.

Simple answer, no magic. Don't overthink it. For sure don't think a stand is going to make much of a difference.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.