Mini ~$150 Ultimate Boom Box Lepai 2020 ++ ??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Everybody,

Thanks for the awesome forum and all the knowledge I have found here. So now I am making my own boom Box that I want to take outside to the fields where we play Ultimate Frisbee / Goaltimate. (Ok, that last part is irrelevant.) The relevant part is my friend Adam brought out this awesome DIY BBOX with a Lepai 2020 (http://www.amazon.com/Lepai-Tripath-TA2020-Class-T-Amplifier/dp/B0049P6OTI/ ) that sounded great, and I wanted something just a little better.

Anyway, he convinced me to get the amp, and I am searching for very efficient (marine?) speakers. He got these: http://www.amazon.com/Audio-MR50B-5-25-Inch-Marine-Speaker/dp/B000FKP7MQ/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1320870992&sr=8-9

I am considering these: http://www.amazon.com/Infinity-Refe...rformance/dp/B002BZFSYA/ref=pd_rhf_dp_p_img_1

or these:

http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-6-5-Inch-Coaxial-Speakers/dp/tech-data/B000P0PF9G/ref=de_a_smtd

Can anyone recommend better speakers?

And is there any chance there is a cheap Equalizer that can be added without destroying my SLA 12 v 7 mah batteries life? (6 hours preferred...)

I am also considering using a pair of existing Boston Acoustics A-40 as the speakers with a little box & (sideways) H clamp to hold the components and speakers together.

Sorry for the incredibly NOOB post, but I'm hoping to get up to speed soon.

Thanks for all replies. Much appreciated. :)

I built a similar thing last summer. Used a cheap amp 2*15W (from sureelectronics) a lead battery, about 5-6 ah. I made it a stereo build, but added a contact to shut off the back side if extra battery time is needed.

I used the woofer SP-60/4 from monacor. This is an amazing driver! It has an impressive low response from even small volumes. Also it goes quite high in frequency, so u can just get a cheap tweeter and do a simple 1st or 2nd order crossover around 4-6k Hz. The sensitivity is also quite good btw (90 dB from a 4"!). For tweeters I used D28 from dynaudio, but that was just because i had those laying around. If u don't want to mess around with crossovers u can try piezo horn tweeters.

cheers

Attachments

• boombox (11).jpg
    boombox (11).jpg
    830.7 KB · Views: 491
  • boombox (10).jpg
    boombox (10).jpg
    914.3 KB · Views: 634
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Hi Everybody,

Thanks for the awesome forum and all the knowledge I have found here. So now I am making my own boom Box that I want to take outside to the fields where we play Ultimate Frisbee / Goaltimate. (Ok, that last part is irrelevant.) The relevant part is my friend Adam brought out this awesome DIY BBOX with a Lepai 2020 (http://www.amazon.com/Lepai-Tripath-TA2020-Class-T-Amplifier/dp/B0049P6OTI/ ) that sounded great, and I wanted something just a little better.

Anyway, he convinced me to get the amp, and I am searching for very efficient (marine?) speakers. He got these: http://www.amazon.com/Audio-MR50B-5-25-Inch-Marine-Speaker/dp/B000FKP7MQ/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1320870992&sr=8-9

I am considering these: Amazon.com: Infinity Reference 6032cf 6.5-Inch 180-Watt High-Performance Two-Way Speakers (Pair): Car Electronics

or these:

Amazon.com: Polk Audio DB651 6.5-Inch Coaxial Speakers: Car Electronics

Can anyone recommend better speakers?

And is there any chance there is a cheap Equalizer that can be added without destroying my SLA 12 v 7 mah batteries life? (6 hours preferred...)

I am also considering using a pair of existing Boston Acoustics A-40 as the speakers with a little box & (sideways) H clamp to hold the components and speakers together.

Sorry for the incredibly NOOB post, but I'm hoping to get up to speed soon.

Thanks for all replies. Much appreciated. :)

I have thought about this too. Have not built but think about it. If using in a ball field, you will need more oomph than Lepai (great amps, but too small for this app).
Use a Sure amp board with Tripath chip, one with 4 x 100 watts (you won't drive anywhere neat this). Use car audio coaxial speakers like Pioneer 6.5 inchers, 4 of them. Make 4 sided box and drive them in bipole that is opposite mounted speakers same channel and in phase, one driver per face. Use 4 x 12 v sla batts in series to get 48 volts to drive Sure amp to get sufficient watts. This should let you drive a solid 80 watts of power per driver.

Pioneer coax 6.5 $30/pair ot $60 for 2:
http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-TS-G1...355953686&sr=8-2&keywords=pioneer+coaxial+6.5

Sure Tk2050 amp $52:
4x100W @ 4 Ohm TK2050 Class-T Digital Audio Amplifier Board 320-302

7.2 AHr SLA batt x 4 @ $16 ea = $64
http://www.amazon.com/B-B-Battery-Series-Office-Product/dp/B0001XE11K

So I broke the bank at $176, but system will kill your friend's Lepai box.

I am assuming you can scrounge up a plywood box , or use an old cooler with wheels. Wiring, etc. You need to put dividers internally to isolate drivers for best effect, but common chamber can work, use winisd to size port for 4 driver bass reflex.

Have fun!

:D

Last edited:
Nice. *Very* cool construction :D :D
I always make 12V 7AH Gel Battery amps , usually with TDA2005 or bridged TDA2003.
The trick lies in using efficient speakers; I use 10" 4 ohms guitar ones (think Jensen C10R or MOD1035) plus piezos, for maximum bang for the buck.
That said, now I'm making a smaller one with just a little 1.3AH battery and one of those generic 6" foam edge light curvilinear cone "Background music" types, simply to save weight and space.
I'll use it to amplify my MP3 player, I'm sick of listening with headphones and want to make it truly portable.
Will post some pictures when finished.
And again congratulations on your good work :p

I loved *both* red boxes.
That gave me an idea: now I want to also build a portable "docking station", with, say, 2 x 5" or 6" speakers + battery powered amps , slightly larger than my Netbook, so I can use it as a "Portable DVD player", only it would play cool downloaded AVIs instead.
How's that?
PS: my 2 x TDA2003 PCB can be wired either as a bridged or stereo output, so both configurations are possible.

Last edited:
Cal,
Are those mondo woofers or passive rads?

Hi Guys,

Mine doesn't qualify as a true Boombox as it runs off house mains. Nice thing about that is you get to have some decent power. The Toolbox has Extremis 6.8 woofers running off a plate amp, and the Wharfdale mid basses and LG drivers drivers running off the Tascam mini PA amp. Seven compartments in total.

Both the Toolbox and the Pentagon use RCA for inputs.

It's extremely loud.

I was gonna make 'er pretty but I noticed a twist in it after glue up, so I had to change plans and do whatever I could. Toolbox is the first thing that came to mind.

I like what pegodk has done with his too.

Attachments

• IMG_7349.jpg
    IMG_7349.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 234
  • IMG_7317.jpg
    IMG_7317.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 225
Last edited:
Nice design Cal. I see you are a fan of plate amps for woofs.
Thank you, yes so easy to control the bass depending on the listening enviro.
Where are the ports for the woofers or are you running them sealed.
Sealed, both in one chamber. Plate amp in its own.
How many watts on each channel?
Woofers share the 125 watt plate and the Tascam is 30wpc.
You might want to read my Boomintor thread
I think the Boominator might be the best option for him.

Attachments

• IMG_7318.jpg
    IMG_7318.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 206
Here is a build I did and it sounds awesome. Quite loud, and I hope it's somewhat waterproof (Everything sealed with Silicone).

Box; $18.88 (Amazon)

Speakers; $40 (Amazon)

Amp; $20 (Amazon)

PSU; $12 (Amazon)

Charger/Controller; $10 (Ebay)

So everything with a 12V SLA Battery is around $115. I haven't completed this one yet.. But I have a smaller version that sounds GREAT!

I also incorporated a 12V Charger, and it will charge my Samsung Galaxy S3 AND output Audio through USB, so there's only one cable to plug into the phone.

I have a simple 12V Plug for input.. The external PSU plugs into it.. The controller/charger charges the SLAs while providing power to the AMP.. Really cool system.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.