Cutting 45's with a circular saw only ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey guys,

Is it possible to make clean straight 45 degree cuts with a circular saw ?
I clamp a fence and run the saw alongside it but with angled cuts the blade always tends to flex and wander ever so slightly.

Also cutting a piece of wood with 45 on both sides is difficult as I have to flip it over and end falling piece is the desired piece.

Yes, but it entirely depends on the saw. I find it's easier to use a router to get the angle perfect.

Attachments

• 45router.jpg
    45router.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 250
Last edited:
It sounds like the blade of your saw may not be parallel to the edge of the baseplate that rides against the fence. If this is the case the sawblade will be track to one side of the kerf and not want to ride straight. Measure the distance perpendicular to the edge of the baseplate to the front and back edges of the saw blade plate (the metal disc of the blade...not the edge of the teeth). It should be parallel within 1mm (if you are using a scale or within 0.2mm if you are using a digital caliper. Take the measurement at several positions of the blade to make sure the blade is not warped.

Try setting the saw at maximum depth. Like kevinahcc20 said, there may be a parallel issue because of the blade not perpendicular. A sharpe blade will help and use a high tooth count, 7 1/4"DIA. 30 to 40 teeth, it may be the blade is worn. Even pressure is key when cutting. Try setting the saw at maximum depth. Even pressure when cutting is the key.
The other end of the piece has to be cut on the other side. Make your first cut then flip the board over and cut going the other direction to the first cut. Use some making tape because you may raise an edge on the cross cut.
PeterC.

I'll check that, however if I do a 45 cut which just barely trims the edge
the bevel comes out fine.

So usually I do a finishing cut. The problem is if I have to do another 45 on the other end of the piece.

That makes sense since with a fine finishing cut the blade is not "trapped" in the kerf and the side forces generated during the cut would be lower than with a full cut.

Another thing that can be helpful is to make sure the bottom surface of the baseplate that rides on the workpiece is smooth and slick. If it isn't you can clean it up with very fine (400 grit or higher) silicon carbide sandpaper then lightly wax with beeswax and buff (don't use anything with synthetics or silicone as these can leave residues on the workpiece that can interfere with the finish). Also when you make the cut keep the force you use to push the saw through the cut light and steady and just maintain very gentle side pressure to keep the saw following the fence. If the force required to move the saw forward is high the blade is either not sharp or the saw has insufficient power for the width of the kerf. A quality fine-kerf blade could be of help in this case.

The saw may have been dropped at some point resulting in the misalignment. There should be a pivot at the front of the saw and a sliding bracket at the back that control the depth of cut adjustment. You may be able to correct the misalignment by clamping the base in a vise and applying pressure at the back of the saw handle in the direction that would bring the blade into alignment. Go slowly and measure after each nudge until the blade is parallel. If that doesn't work good news...you have reason to but a new saw!!

adjusted it this morning, the DW364 can adjust from the back pivot ball hinge.
Dunno if it strains the front though but I got it parallel.
However upon checking the squareness there is a slight difference from front to back.
the back is about maybe 1/2 degree off compared to the front.

It is cutting very close to perfect now though.

Hey guys,

Is it possible to make clean straight 45 degree cuts with a circular saw ?
I clamp a fence and run the saw alongside it but with angled cuts the blade always tends to flex and wander ever so slightly.

Also cutting a piece of wood with 45 on both sides is difficult as I have to flip it over and end falling piece is the desired piece.

Why not?

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

15mm Al plates.

Regards zeoN_Rider

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.