Not veneering a chamfer - crazy??? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Construction Tips

Construction Tips Construction techniques and tips

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th November 2011, 05:54 PM   #11
Bob2 is offline Bob2  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Not Veneering a chamfer

tuxedocivic

The problem with veneering the chamfer is when you finish the cab the veneer edge will show quite a bit. The best way is to wrap the cab with a single sheet of veneer, but you need rounded corners not chamfers.

Bob
Old 10th November 2011, 06:12 PM   #12
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob2 View Post
tuxedocivic

The problem with veneering the chamfer is when you finish the cab the veneer edge will show quite a bit. The best way is to wrap the cab with a single sheet of veneer, but you need rounded corners not chamfers.

Bob

Actually, I do this a lot -if the chamfer is wide enough (which certainly appears to the case here), paper backed veneers can easily be folded over the 45'd corner in the long grain direction, and the exposed edges are generally less distracting than implied, particularly with any type of stain applied.
Old 10th November 2011, 06:17 PM   #13
doorman is offline doorman  Canada
diyAudio Member

I've done them both ways too, but always come back to veneering 'em.
don (& wife, with strong opinions on any type of decorating!!)
Old 10th November 2011, 06:27 PM   #14
Bob2 is offline Bob2  Canada
diyAudio Member

I was bringing attention to the fact that the edge of the veneer is end grain and can soak up more stain and look darker than rest of the veneer when stained. I like the wrapping of the chamfer.
Old 10th November 2011, 07:08 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob2 View Post
I was bringing attention to the fact that the edge of the veneer is end grain and can soak up more stain and look darker than rest of the veneer when stained. I like the wrapping of the chamfer.

well wouldn't that be end grain only in the cross grain direction? with thicker solid veneers the end grain porosity could certainly be an issue, but with (kraft) paper backed material the actual wood layer very thin in either direction, and often the color of the backing paper is very similar to the actual veneer ( e.g. Cherry, Walnut, Red Oak), and there may well be more range of color variation on the faces if stained due to grain porosity and figuring etc.

but let's not beat this to death - Ryan could easily complete the veneering and finishing and first few days of listening before a forum consensus is reached.

Ryan - EL70s?
Old 13th November 2011, 05:39 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Sorry for the slow reply and thanks for all the good suggestions.

Chris, they are EL70 cutouts.

It's raw veneer so the edge wouldn't show. Good point about sucking up extra stain though. Hmm. I think I will veneer them. When I mock it up, they just look a little plain :/ The ply edging give it a bold look. Which I did not expect. I think I've been swayed to veneer though. Thanks.

So what do I have to worry about for the edges with this being raw?
Old 14th November 2011, 05:50 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxedocivic View Post
Sorry for the slow reply and thanks for all the good suggestions.

Chris, they are EL70 cutouts.

It's raw veneer so the edge wouldn't show. Good point about sucking up extra stain though. Hmm. I think I will veneer them. When I mock it up, they just look a little plain :/ The ply edging give it a bold look. Which I did not expect. I think I've been swayed to veneer though. Thanks.

So what do I have to worry about for the edges with this being raw?

from my experience with raw veneers, splintering while handling as much as anything - as the bulk of the box is already done you've probably got a good handle on the edge grain trimming

and depending on your chosen finishing, the exposed edge/end grain may simply not be a big issue

we look forward to seeing these - photos here, and for us local guys, in the flesh as well

nice job
Old 14th November 2011, 07:20 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
from my experience with raw veneers, splintering while handling as much as anything
No kidding First time I've used raw veneer and it's sure a pain. This eucalyptus is very brittle. There's a few shameful blemishes. Hopefully they'll repair.

I'll be sure to post pictures and bring them by sometime

Hide this!Advertise here!