Tripath boombox - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Construction Tips

Construction Tips Construction techniques and tips

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th November 2011, 05:14 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

okay :b thank you so much!

But are you sure it will play loud and deep enough?

and while we are at it.. which amp would you prefer? im a little in love with the tripath 2021 2x25w .. but i can see you are using amps from another website than ebay.. I would like an amp that are already in a box cause again; im not good in all that stuff with connecting all those small things you know
Old 6th November 2011, 05:23 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HifiBoyDenmark View Post
But are you sure it will play loud and deep enough?
It will play louder, deeper and better than the car audio speakers you linked to in a cabinet 8 times smaller.

Use whatever (tripath) amp you're comfortable with. I use those from 41hz because they're the best and still cost very little. On the other hand there's no cabinet and you have to solder them yourself.

Last edited by Saturnus; 6th November 2011 at 05:25 PM.
Old 6th November 2011, 05:29 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

yeah and that is why i would like to use an amp thats has a cabinet.. its just a shame that there aren't any bass-lvl button on them
Old 8th November 2011, 11:58 PM   #14
dangus is offline dangus  Canada
diyAudio Member

There's some T-amps on eBay that come in a metal cabinet with tone controls. Search for TA2020 Class under consumer electronics. From $20 shipping included.
Old 9th November 2011, 04:36 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

ive seen them all.. i might go with a TA2021 for around 40pounds incl. shipping from the UK
Old 8th February 2012, 11:59 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

I have been looking for information about speakers and am trying to understand but I am still a complete retard when it comes to the technical specs.
As far as I can understand sensitivity is key to keeping down power consumption in a portable diy boombox and when reading this thread I was completely puzzeled. It seemes that the Hertz HCX 690 has a sensitivity of 94db and the Monacor SP-60/4 has a sensitivity of 90db. Then what makes those speakers louder and better??
Have been looking at a lot of car fullrange speakers to keep down weight and they also seem more rugged than home speakers.
But now I am back to square one since I obviously am completely of track about choosing the proper speakers for my build.

And also while I am on the subject of diy boomboxes there are a few other questions I would like to have explained to me.

Having capacitors between the amp and speakers?? Why and exactly what does that do?

And about the amp.. How exactly does it work with power consumption compared to sound on different size amps? If i have a 20w amp and a 100w amp and play the music at the exact same volume, do they draw the same amount of power from the batteries? I mean if I want to have maximum efficiency and the lowest power consumption but still have the possibility to go extremely loud (just for fun :P ) .

I am not sure if I explain thet well since I am a complete novice in this area but I really want to know why things work and not just that they do :P

And please explain like you would to a mentally challenged child.
(Tried to find the information for myself, but the people who really know about these things and have written about it tend to be very technical and explain it in terms that require prior knowledge about the subject and is usually just rows of (to me) incomprehensible numbers)

Give a man a boombox and he will be happy for one festival (until someone pukes on it and sets it on fire).
Teach a man how to build a boombox and he will be happy for the rest of his festivalgoing days.

Hide this!Advertise here!