Quick Veneer Question - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Construction Tips

Construction Tips Construction techniques and tips

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd November 2011, 04:49 PM   #1
toobhed is offline toobhed  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Quick Veneer Question

Hi Folks,

I've done all my reading regarding veneer tips on this forum and elsewhere and I think its time to dig into a small test project veneering a 5" cube to start.

I'd like to do a complete perimeter wrap around the sides, face and back. I've read that Chris uses this technique but with the iron-on method. I'm testing two approaches, peel/stick and paperbacked. Would I be able to accomplish the "turns" using either of these veneer types or am I best off cutting six peices?

Also, can I get away with veneering the cube before drilling the driver cutout to reduce exacto-trimming? It won't be mounted flush so the flange will cover the likely untidy driver cutout in this case.

Thanks in advance for your help. Regards,

Mario
Old 4th November 2011, 03:58 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Not sure what you are asking, if you are wrapping around a radius edge anything less than 3/4 of an inch will depend on the veneer thickness and if you use a softener. That will determine how tight you can go (and grain orientation). There is a lot of helpful info on joe woodworker's web site (he is a veneer retailer). The last speaker project I routed out the speaker holes after I veneered them and was pleased with the result, the only issue is they are very vulnerable at that state. I have been using the glue and iron technique with paper backed veneer, you have a fine line on the edge. I would like to learn to use conventional veneer with vacuum bagging but have not made the investment.

Bill
Old 4th November 2011, 03:31 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thank you Wirewiggler,

The corners of front baffle, sides and back panel are straight, sharp 90 degree turns. The veneer is standard Bend-It paper backed veneer sold through PE, but I don't know its thickness. I'm also trying out PSA peel and stick.

Would an iron help coax a single peice around the front sides and back given the 90 degree corners, or am I best off cutting 6 peices?
Thanks again,
Mario
Old 6th November 2011, 02:07 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

That's Band-It veneer and no it won't go around a 90 degree corner. No an iron won't help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toobhed View Post
Thank you Wirewiggler,

The corners of front baffle, sides and back panel are straight, sharp 90 degree turns. The veneer is standard Bend-It paper backed veneer sold through PE, but I don't know its thickness. I'm also trying out PSA peel and stick.

Would an iron help coax a single peice around the front sides and back given the 90 degree corners, or am I best off cutting 6 peices?
Thanks again,
Mario
Old 6th November 2011, 03:50 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Thanks Fastbike,
You've saved me an from an otherwise failed attempt....

Hide this!Advertise here!