diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Construction Tips (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/construction-tips/)
-   -   Quick Veneer Question (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/construction-tips/199787-quick-veneer-question.html)

toobhed 3rd November 2011 04:49 PM

Quick Veneer Question

Hi Folks,

I've done all my reading regarding veneer tips on this forum and elsewhere and I think its time to dig into a small test project veneering a 5" cube to start.

I'd like to do a complete perimeter wrap around the sides, face and back. I've read that Chris uses this technique but with the iron-on method. I'm testing two approaches, peel/stick and paperbacked. Would I be able to accomplish the "turns" using either of these veneer types or am I best off cutting six peices?

Also, can I get away with veneering the cube before drilling the driver cutout to reduce exacto-trimming? It won't be mounted flush so the flange will cover the likely untidy driver cutout in this case.

Thanks in advance for your help. Regards,

Mario

wirewiggler 4th November 2011 03:58 AM

Not sure what you are asking, if you are wrapping around a radius edge anything less than 3/4 of an inch will depend on the veneer thickness and if you use a softener. That will determine how tight you can go (and grain orientation). There is a lot of helpful info on joe woodworker's web site (he is a veneer retailer). The last speaker project I routed out the speaker holes after I veneered them and was pleased with the result, the only issue is they are very vulnerable at that state. I have been using the glue and iron technique with paper backed veneer, you have a fine line on the edge. I would like to learn to use conventional veneer with vacuum bagging but have not made the investment.

Bill

toobhed 4th November 2011 03:31 PM

Thank you Wirewiggler,

The corners of front baffle, sides and back panel are straight, sharp 90 degree turns. The veneer is standard Bend-It paper backed veneer sold through PE, but I don't know its thickness. I'm also trying out PSA peel and stick.

Would an iron help coax a single peice around the front sides and back given the 90 degree corners, or am I best off cutting 6 peices?
Thanks again,
Mario

fastbike1 6th November 2011 02:07 AM

That's Band-It veneer and no it won't go around a 90 degree corner. No an iron won't help.

Quote:

Originally Posted by toobhed (Post 2769832)
Thank you Wirewiggler,

The corners of front baffle, sides and back panel are straight, sharp 90 degree turns. The veneer is standard Bend-It paper backed veneer sold through PE, but I don't know its thickness. I'm also trying out PSA peel and stick.

Would an iron help coax a single peice around the front sides and back given the 90 degree corners, or am I best off cutting 6 peices?
Thanks again,
Mario

toobhed 6th November 2011 03:50 PM

Thanks Fastbike,
You've saved me an from an otherwise failed attempt....