Accepting ones limitations

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Great thread!;)

I have a question: what is the consensus on drilling 90 degree holes in 16 gauge steel (1/16"), for example, without a drill press?

Would an electric hand drill used with a "drill guide" like so be up for the task?

I want to drill some tight clearance 6-32 mounting holes in a racked metal shelf.

I was googling around old threads looking for something else when I came upon this one. I now can give an update on what I wrote about above.

So far I have been very pleased with my little Proxxon drill press setup. I was able to drill two 5/16 inch holes in 1/2 inch hardened steel, 120 mm apart. No marking, no scribing, no centerpunching, no spotting, no pilot hole. Just drop the drill bit down and go. Yes, I did use cooling fluid.

I used a mechanical edge finder and dial gauge to center the work in the y dimension and the edge finder to locate an edge in the x dimension. Measuring with the dial gauge I moved to the location of the first hole. Then measuring again with the dial gauge I moved to the location of the second hole. Easy, and with very nice results.

rif

Joined 2003
Paid Member
If i may take things a step back here...if you don't have the extensive tools, Space and/or someone to show you the tricks, you could see if there is a woodworking co-op You pay a monthly fee, and get access to a fully stocked shop as well as classes.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.