Mechanical problem on designing

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am making a simple amplifier for my project but now I having trouble on designing.My idea was to push the woofer out once I clicked a button.I think solenoid would be the best to help push my woofer out.Now,I am having a mechanical problem.
  1. Is solenoid the best component to push my woofer?Any other idea?
  2. I have no idea on the "doors" but I was thinking to apply the cuckoo clock's door's theory for this.Other suggestions would be appreciated.
  3. Holder for woofer.My design seems kinda heavy for solenoid to push the woofer.

*Any other better design diagrams will be highly appreciated

This is my design diagram.(Draw with Paint,kinda ugly I know :D)

Attachments

• woofer.bmp
    194.7 KB · Views: 55
Oh, I see, you don;t mean push the woofer cone out, you want the entire woofer itself to move into view. SO the woofer pops out instead of a cuckoo bird.

I am in show business, and one thing about the business is that it is not the reality that matters, it is the impression. For example, when they filmed Apollo 13, they didn;t actually go into space and around the moon, they just made it look like they did.

So, would it be possible your actual sound producing woofer was mounted facing out an open rear, or out openings in the bottom. It would remain stationary to make sound when needed, then a light weight fake woofer would pop in and out for the visual effect. No one needs to know the thing popping out is not really making the sounds.

REmember when rock and roll bands would set up stacks and stacks of guitar speakers? In reality, only a couple of them were real, but to the fans it looked like a wall of speakers.

If you must move the actual speaker, then inertia is more important than weight. Free rolling drawer glides would allow low friction movement. A solenoid could move this, through a lever arrangement. Or you might adapt something like the basic garage door opener, but made with smaller parts. SO a motor driving a small chain or pulley system. A couple switches for sensing motion limits. (It has to know when and where to stop, after all.)

And expecting something that weighs a few pounds to snap in and out rapidly is maybe not realistic. A clock cuckoo weighs almost nothing, so it can be snapped in and out easily. A slower woofer would still get the point across and still be as amusing to those viewing it.

Maybe those ideas might suggest something for you.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.