Help a beginner out please! :>

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi guys!

A buddy of mine built a ghettoblaster and that has totally inspired me to make one too... I've tried to read everything I can and soak in everything that's on the net but to no avail. Bear in mind I have no knowledge whatsoever about electronics. I'll be fine with the woodworking part though :p

So the questions I have are:

1) How does a boombox work? A diagram would be very helpful.
2) As a beginner, how should I start out?
3) I don't get how to calculate the volts and the ohms and currents etc. What do they even mean? Haha
4) Any other pointers?

Thanks in advance for any help, it'll be good if everything was just simplified, I'm a total beginner! I'm sorry if I have posted in the wrong forum, or if there has been a similar thread. I can't find an article that is not written in "audiophile speak" hahah!

Peace x
Jo-ann

go to either Decibel Dungeon and/or ESP and find the articles you can understand initially. Once you have these in your head you can decide which direction you take next.

As an absolute beginner without background knowledge of the subject, the best you can do is adopt an already proven and recommended design and build it exactly as instructed in the build guide. If there is no build guide then forget that design.

The answers I have are:
1) Tough question because it can be answered on different levels. At its simplest, a music player has its output electrically amplified and converted to sound waves via a loudspeaker.
2) IMO, a beginner should learn the basic units and components and their schematic symbols. And answer 3)!
3) The relationship of volts, ohms, and amps are conveniently defined by Ohm's Law - V=I*R (voltage equals current times resistance). Power (watts) equals voltage times current.
4) I second the advice to find a proven design with good documentation. Work safely and don't be afraid to ask questions. And if you're ever unsure, don't apply power.

I've tried to read everything I can and soak in everything that's on the net but to no avail. Bear in mind I have no knowledge whatsoever about electronics.
You need to find sites which you can understand so you gain some knowledge. If you knew now how much you will need to learn it might put you off, so just regard it as the start of a long but interesting journey.

If you are starting from zero, then learn about battery and bulb circuits, DC and AC, series and parallel and Ohm's Law. Until you get this you won't understand any electronics sites.

If this is going to involve working with mains supply, think twice before attempting a project. Read ESP and other articles and if you don't feel very confident, my advice is DON'T DO IT!
I don't want to read about some woman "across the ditch" electrocuting herself. Remember, our countries have 240V mains supply and it doesn't just hurt if you get bitten.

Frank

Hahahah Frank, I love how your name seems to describe exactly what you are... frank! :> lovvit. Anyway I appreciate your concern but if I was a fool I wouldn't be here to ask any questions would I? :p

As my first experimental project, I plan to use an old wooden speaker box that my mate has kindly given to me. It's dimensions are 580x410x210(mm). Is there a basic design that someone could refer me to? And what parts am I looking at getting at the moment? What else should I look for?

Jo

Hi Joann,
When I was a beginner, I learned alot by taking stuff apart, and then later I started trying to fix things that weren't working. along the way I started learning the theory and also started making simple kits like Kits - Categories - SparkFun Electronics and Velleman nv. It took those many smaller efforts to build up to being able to design stuff.

as for your boombox, I have a couple questions of my own:
1) what will it play? the ghetto blaster I had played cassette tapes. will yours too? or will it be a radio? or a mp3 player? before anyone can produce a diagram you have to describe what you want more clearly.
2) how did your buddy do it? you could probably learn alot from just trying to copy what he or she did.
3) I second or third everything that was said above. be safe. make sure power is disconnected before touching anything. (ok, that wasn't a question)

I recommend that you buy a ghettoblaster on ebay, then take it apart and use the bits inside to build your box. Maybe you end up breaking it, but that's not so bad because then you will have to figure out how to get it working again. That kind of hands on training will teach you much more than you can learn from the internet.

by the way, electronics can be a kind of expensive hobby. don't be surprised if once your project is working you find that you have spent far more than it would have cost to buy a new boombox at the store. and you will need some basic tools like a solder iron and a multimeter.

good luck!

-Joel

OK Jo, then perhaps you should now describe what you mean by ghetto-blaster?

Is it stereo, multiple speakers per side, powered by mains, have volume control as well as source selection or single source, and what sort of loudness do you want?

Frank
PS. Some people mistake being candid with rudeness rather than what it is; saying what you want and mean to say without the embellishment that may confuse. Some (read; many) people are such delicate little flowers that they seem to spend the large part of their life trying to find offense anywhere and everywhere.

And to what end? So they can say they are offended? Where is the sense in that? Plato found out the hard way but you would think we would have made progress over two thousand years.

Dunno what's available overseas, but the ARRL puts out the "ARRL Radio Amateur's Handbook" every year. The first 100 pages are a condensed electronics course starting with "this is a resistor," what the formulas are, etc. Just about any edition since the '70's or so includes op-amps, which are commonly used in modern audio. The book of course covers a lot of radio ideas and radio frequencies, but these aren't totally useless in audio - sometimes audio equipment inadvertently responds to, or even emits radio frequencies, and it's good to know how to stop that with shielding and other things that apply to large portions of the electromagnetic spectrum.

Okay, for my boombox I plan to play my mp3 player on it - so just a normal 3.5mm aux jack? It will be stereo. Powered by a 12V SLA battery. I don't know how many speakers I want at the moment but I can tell you what it will be used for, it will be strapped onto a longboard and we will cruise around town with it :) so preferably moderately loud! I would ask my buddy to teach me a thing or two but he is WAY too busy and I don't want to bother him so I am kind of on my own on this project, hence the reason why I am here (thank God for the internet!) Oh yes I plan to add a volume control, but if it is too complicated then I will probably ditch the idea. After all I can control it from my music device, no?

Oh Frank, I hope we don't have a misunderstanding here - I, in no way at all, took offense to anything you said. I actually found it quite funny. Haha. I don't know why you think I took offense to it. Anyway, I'm just here to learn and I appreciate all the help that I get. I'm just a beginner and I ask everyone to be patient with me.

Thank you
Jo

Jo,
That wasn't directed at you; it was an observation of the general public and some others closer to "home". :) You see that you took a step backwards when it wasn't necessary. Plato was right about people needing to be more robust.

Anyway, we are making progress. How big can this thing be? This will largely determine speaker size and how many, ie, fullrange or multi drivers. A 12V supply will mean that an automotive type amplifier chip should be used. Silcon Chip magazine did a project on it so search that website for more information.

Frank
PS, are you a surfy chick?

Of course it was directed at me Frank, or at least me plus the general public. I mean why would you just casually make an observation of the general public mid-conversation? Hmm. It's funny that you mention I took a step backwards when you pulled the country card. Hahahah I mean I don't really blame you, you must feel quite bitter because your team can't bring home the cup this year :p

The speaker system will be assembled in a recycled speaker box, 580x410x210(mm)

And yes, I surf, sail and skate(longboard). Mainly the latter. Any other questions? :>

Jo,
I think you assume too much.
I mean why would you just casually make an observation of the general public mid-conversation?
Because you referred to me being "frank". Statement -> explanation. It was directed generally but premised by what you said.
you must feel quite bitter because your team can't bring home
I only watched it in the pub because friends wanted to see it. I call it the "five second game"; the same thing happens every five seconds and it is boring as watching paint dry. It isn't real footy requiring multiple skills, agility, running, kicking, marking and speccies like Aussie Rules.

The size box probably means mono and maybe multiple speakers. Did you look at the SC article?

Frank

Where I grew up the local library had a section of books for children and youngsters. Among them were electronics books... I learned a lot of stuff from those. That's probably where I'd start -- even as an adult. Once you get the hang of it, dive into some of the lighter college texts.

There are also various books intended for the adult(-ish) crowd. Morgan Jones, "Valve Amplifiers" comes to mind. It's a book about tube amplifiers, so not directly applicable in your case. But the first few chapters deal with general electronics.

Don't build stuff that plugs into a wall outlet before you understand that volt and ohms stuff...

~Tom

I'd suggest grabbing a cheap TA2024 or TA2020 amp board or module off eBay. That's plenty of power; it's as much as most "high powered" car head units really put out. They're also very efficient, which helps with battery life. For a battery, 12V sealed-lead-acid (gel cell), like the ones used in emergency lighting systems, computer UPS, electric scooters and kid's electric cars. 12V 7AH is a common size, not too heavy, but should play a very long time on a charge. Be aware that running one of these batteries completely flat will kill it permanently. It wouldn't be a bad idea to buy a cheap digital voltmeter module off eBay and wire that in with a push-button to check voltage.

Larger speakers will usually be more efficient and deliver more bass, so don't waste any effort on anything much under 5". Try 6" or 6x9" car speakers. Swap meets or yard sales are good sources, if there aren't any lying around or in abandoned vehicles.

Okay Frank, whatever you say then :> I tried look for the Silicon Chip article but couldn't find it - that thing has so many pages!

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.ne...200535265641_604545640_12382949_3082130_n.jpg
This is my mate's Uglie Carnie Boombox. I only managed to find this photo on his facebook of an unfinished one (it is now finished of course), it's got two speakers and two tweeters on both sides, a volume control and a volt gauge(don't know if that is what it's called) on the top. He told me to go to supermarkets or places that sell imported baby food because they are shipped in wooden boxes, and these boxes are perfect for making sound systems. That's what his ghetto blaster is made from! Siiick.

I have tried reading the boominator thread and got through half without really understanding what they were saying. Ahaha I tried to comprehend! But no...

Cool my friend is giving me a bunch of speakers tomorrow so I'll update you with what I have to tweak with and what not. I might also head to the library tomorrow but it's hard to do so - injured my knee skating the other night :<

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.