Help a beginner out please! :>

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
But the speaker was working absolutely fine before. Yeah Sure will replace the board I just need to take a photo of the multimeter measuring the faulty channel or something like that. I don't know what they mean when they say "test the left channel via connecting corresponding Vout + and Vout- to GND"

Maybe a kind soul will be willing to let me add them on skype, and we can do a video chat tutorial. Hmm...

Hello aboslutjoann, yes all this advice can seem odd to understand 'place meter here and switch this and that' and wait'..... mmmm help!

you say the speaker was fine before doe's it work on the good channel?
place your speaker on the table and use a small 9v battery applied to it's connection, it will 'pop' backwards and forwards if it's ok if not it's done..next!

when measuring corresponding working channels of a working amplifier we place our meter leads on the amps out puts and take note of each side.. the - sign is ground zero point and the + the plus is straight forwards

1 question, does your multimeter have a buzz setting there should be a setting for this as most multimeter do. when you touch the probes together the meter will sound!

taking voltage measurements via ref to ground is how we carry out different voltages. via placement of the black meter lead clipped to the zero point of a peace of equipment such as the metal case etc.

try this, if you have a working amp say 2 channel, place your meter leads on one side of the speaker out connection. set your meter to ac volts only and apply signal, note the volt reading on the meter. turn down the master volume and swap the red lead over to the second channel it's ok to leave the black lead where it is as there both the same zero connection within the circuit. now slowly turn up the volume your reading will be the same as the first channel.

see how you get on..

Hi guys,

Yes I'm planning to get a replacement of the amplifier as I think it is faulty(or maybe I wrecked it haha!) Anyway, when Sure emailed me the first time, I sent them two pictures:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

&
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I got this email back:
"Dear Sir(sir?!?!?!),

Thanks a lot for your message,
I am sorry, there may be some misleading.

The first picture is correct and second is not.

First, please measure the voltages of u1/u2/u3/u4 as the attachment shown when the board is powered;

Second, please measure the resistance of r1/r2/r3/r4 as the attachment show when the board is not powered!

Please send us the pictures of results measured by multimeter!"

And they attached this photo:
2@15w | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Okay, I'm really confused. Could someone maybe show me a picture for an example? I have no idea what I'm doing >,<

Cheers!
Jo

Hi Joe..things can be confusing when dealing with faulty equipment or just starting out in the world of electronics... we all stated somewhere. I would say, try a small amp circuit to get the feel of things and if you blow it up..it'll be cheap to fix!.

Also try this site elliot sound products there's plenty on there.

Good luck.

And they attached this photo:
2@15w | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Okay, I'm really confused. Could someone maybe show me a picture for an example? I have no idea what I'm doing >,<

Cheers!
Jo

Hi again,

The photo they've attached is telling you...

Always having the black lead connected to the connector labeled GND (short for ground), put the red probe on Out 1+, Out 1-, Out 2+, Out 2- and take a picture showing the voltage measured by each. That way, they can see the board is under test (ie, that you're not making the voltages up to get a new board), and ensure you're making the correct connections.

But yes, the board does indeed appear to be faulty: there should not be 18v across the output. However, the way you've measured it (while a reasonable enough way of measuring it) isn't how they measure them. To be able to compare your amplifier to what it should be, they need you to measure it the same way.

Hope this helps,
Chris

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.