Help a beginner out please! :> - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Construction Tips

Construction Tips Construction techniques and tips

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th October 2011, 01:23 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

Okay, for my boombox I plan to play my mp3 player on it - so just a normal 3.5mm aux jack? It will be stereo. Powered by a 12V SLA battery. I don't know how many speakers I want at the moment but I can tell you what it will be used for, it will be strapped onto a longboard and we will cruise around town with it so preferably moderately loud! I would ask my buddy to teach me a thing or two but he is WAY too busy and I don't want to bother him so I am kind of on my own on this project, hence the reason why I am here (thank God for the internet!) Oh yes I plan to add a volume control, but if it is too complicated then I will probably ditch the idea. After all I can control it from my music device, no?

Oh Frank, I hope we don't have a misunderstanding here - I, in no way at all, took offense to anything you said. I actually found it quite funny. Haha. I don't know why you think I took offense to it. Anyway, I'm just here to learn and I appreciate all the help that I get. I'm just a beginner and I ask everyone to be patient with me.

Thank you
Jo
Old 20th October 2011, 04:40 AM   #12
Francec is offline Francec  Australia
Banned

Jo,
That wasn't directed at you; it was an observation of the general public and some others closer to "home". You see that you took a step backwards when it wasn't necessary. Plato was right about people needing to be more robust.

Anyway, we are making progress. How big can this thing be? This will largely determine speaker size and how many, ie, fullrange or multi drivers. A 12V supply will mean that an automotive type amplifier chip should be used. Silcon Chip magazine did a project on it so search that website for more information.

Frank
PS, are you a surfy chick?
Old 20th October 2011, 09:58 AM   #13
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Hoi Fran,
Are you trying to pinch my woman? I got there first
Old 20th October 2011, 11:58 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Of course it was directed at me Frank, or at least me plus the general public. I mean why would you just casually make an observation of the general public mid-conversation? Hmm. It's funny that you mention I took a step backwards when you pulled the country card. Hahahah I mean I don't really blame you, you must feel quite bitter because your team can't bring home the cup this year :P

The speaker system will be assembled in a recycled speaker box, 580x410x210(mm)

And yes, I surf, sail and skate(longboard). Mainly the latter. Any other questions? :>
Old 21st October 2011, 01:35 AM   #15
Francec is offline Francec  Australia
Banned

Jo,
I think you assume too much.
Quote:
I mean why would you just casually make an observation of the general public mid-conversation?
Because you referred to me being "frank". Statement -> explanation. It was directed generally but premised by what you said.
Quote:
you must feel quite bitter because your team can't bring home
I only watched it in the pub because friends wanted to see it. I call it the "five second game"; the same thing happens every five seconds and it is boring as watching paint dry. It isn't real footy requiring multiple skills, agility, running, kicking, marking and speccies like Aussie Rules.

The size box probably means mono and maybe multiple speakers. Did you look at the SC article?

Frank
Old 21st October 2011, 01:55 AM   #16
tomchr is offline tomchr  United States
diyAudio Member

Where I grew up the local library had a section of books for children and youngsters. Among them were electronics books... I learned a lot of stuff from those. That's probably where I'd start -- even as an adult. Once you get the hang of it, dive into some of the lighter college texts.

There are also various books intended for the adult(-ish) crowd. Morgan Jones, "Valve Amplifiers" comes to mind. It's a book about tube amplifiers, so not directly applicable in your case. But the first few chapters deal with general electronics.

Don't build stuff that plugs into a wall outlet before you understand that volt and ohms stuff...

~Tom
Old 21st October 2011, 02:15 AM   #17
6L6 is offline 6L6  United States
diyAudio Member

Actually, if you could snap a photo of the one that inspired you, that would be a tremendous help...
Old 21st October 2011, 02:39 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

Gettoblaster a.k.a. Boombox. I suggest the "Boominator" thread
Old 21st October 2011, 02:48 AM   #19
dangus is offline dangus  Canada
diyAudio Member

I'd suggest grabbing a cheap TA2024 or TA2020 amp board or module off eBay. That's plenty of power; it's as much as most "high powered" car head units really put out. They're also very efficient, which helps with battery life. For a battery, 12V sealed-lead-acid (gel cell), like the ones used in emergency lighting systems, computer UPS, electric scooters and kid's electric cars. 12V 7AH is a common size, not too heavy, but should play a very long time on a charge. Be aware that running one of these batteries completely flat will kill it permanently. It wouldn't be a bad idea to buy a cheap digital voltmeter module off eBay and wire that in with a push-button to check voltage.

Larger speakers will usually be more efficient and deliver more bass, so don't waste any effort on anything much under 5". Try 6" or 6x9" car speakers. Swap meets or yard sales are good sources, if there aren't any lying around or in abandoned vehicles.
Old 22nd October 2011, 02:05 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Okay Frank, whatever you say then :> I tried look for the Silicon Chip article but couldn't find it - that thing has so many pages!

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net..._3082130_n.jpg
This is my mate's Uglie Carnie Boombox. I only managed to find this photo on his facebook of an unfinished one (it is now finished of course), it's got two speakers and two tweeters on both sides, a volume control and a volt gauge(don't know if that is what it's called) on the top. He told me to go to supermarkets or places that sell imported baby food because they are shipped in wooden boxes, and these boxes are perfect for making sound systems. That's what his ghetto blaster is made from! Siiick.

I have tried reading the boominator thread and got through half without really understanding what they were saying. Ahaha I tried to comprehend! But no...

Cool my friend is giving me a bunch of speakers tomorrow so I'll update you with what I have to tweak with and what not. I might also head to the library tomorrow but it's hard to do so - injured my knee skating the other night :<

Hide this!Advertise here!