Some thoughts on alternative cooling - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Construction Tips

Construction Tips Construction techniques and tips

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th October 2011, 09:27 AM   #21
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boscoe View Post
will be three Wire amps at 300W a channel. (only want that power for dynamic peaks not continuous before you get on my back andrewt for the size of my sinks!).
No need.
You are aware of the average to peak of music and the effect this has on required heatsink dissipation.
You need to size for quiescent duty and for your worst case power duty.
I can't and won't tell you what you must design for. Those decisions are yours.

It's the builders who blindly go along without making any informed decisions that need help and intervention.
Old 9th October 2011, 09:33 AM   #22
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robmil View Post
wouldn't it be more efficient (heatwise) to just bolt the trannies to the heatsink bypassing all that other metalwork? It is easily done, I have done it and I have seen full production amplifiers use this method.
yes, the devices direct to the water jacket and the clamp plate on the plastic side of the device package.
Do away with the heatsink and then lay the assembly flat (device pins horizontal) to give 180degree access to the device pins.
Old 9th October 2011, 09:43 AM   #23
Boscoe is offline Boscoe  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Alex why not try to redesign the case so it sits on it's side with a radiator at top, bottom or both with the fans barley moveing just to aid that warmish air inside to move through the rads. Make sure it's air tight elsewhere.

EDIT - I realise the want to do away with anything in the way of the block and transistor but my not use some ~8mm thick copper the size of the waterblock to blot it on the screw the transistor in the copper block?
Old 9th October 2011, 05:41 PM   #24
Account disabled at member's request

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewT View Post
yes, the devices direct to the water jacket and the clamp plate on the plastic side of the device package.
Do away with the heatsink and then lay the assembly flat (device pins horizontal) to give 180degree access to the device pins.
If we are going for maximum thermal efficiency ( lowest operating temperature delta from ambient) then yes.. Definetely... Infact the entire assembly can be reconfigured to increase performance..

Just out of curiosity... Are there water cooled amps on the market?

Inviato dal mio GT-I5800 usando Tapatalk
Old 9th October 2011, 05:55 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

How about using clamps to attach the the devices directley to the cooling pipe. you could even have a cooling pipe both sides of the output devices. It saves you drilling and tapping the cooling pipe and will greatly reduce tha chance of leaks. I suggest you spend less time on creating theses quite impresive 3d drawings and apply a little more thought to what you are utimatley going to achive.
Regards Ian

Last edited by madtecchy; 9th October 2011 at 05:58 PM. Reason: typo corrected
Old 9th October 2011, 06:40 PM   #26

Have you built a Watercooled system using unconventional methods? I would be delighted to see your results...
Old 9th October 2011, 06:43 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by madtecchy View Post
How about using clamps to attach the the devices directley to the cooling pipe. you could even have a cooling pipe both sides of the output devices. It saves you drilling and tapping the cooling pipe and will greatly reduce tha chance of leaks. I suggest you spend less time on creating theses quite impresive 3d drawings and apply a little more thought to what you are utimatley going to achive.
Regards Ian
P.s. this is google sketchup, designed for kids..
Old 9th October 2011, 06:54 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

I was about to recommend doing a Cray-2 and dousing the whole thing in Fluorinert, but at $1000 / litre that's a tad expensive.
Old 9th October 2011, 07:17 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

If it is that easy to use . how come you seem to be having problems with what you are trying to achive. here is a clue for you dont overlook thermal resistance between all the joints . At the end of the day you are not the only one to think of unconventional ways of cooling . If your idea was well though out you would recive praise just like kids do in primary school. well done alex choose a sweety.

Regards Ian
Old 9th October 2011, 07:56 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

why do we feel the need to bicker? Alex stated in his first post that he didnt know alot about audio but did about cooling. His drawings are good but due to limited knowledge in need of a bit of tweaking thats all. This is after all a "community" and not abnout one upmanship. I think his ideas are new and fresh. Does this scare somepeople who knows? It isnt easy to come up with anything new in Todays world and im sure just wanted to get "involved" on this forum so give him a break eh!

Hide this!Advertise here!