Some thoughts on alternative cooling

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
actually I thuought of that and it would help in leaving space for more modules. Given adequate power supply and heat disposal capacity one is limited on the depth of the radiators in terms of how many modules can be installed.

I just checked and keeping everything alu (so distilled water can be used) I would be facing these expenses:

120 euros rads
30 euros fittings and tubings
8 euros 2m of alu extrusion

not bad given I can build a case from metal at no expense (a friend has a workshop).

also check out this video: the design is actually hindering thermosyphon effect but nevertheless the results are there.

Solar Thermosiphon Effect in Action - YouTube

Last edited:
Investigate toxicity and in particular Legionnaires and steps to avoid that disease.

If that water is contaminated at any time in it's cycle and then infiltrates someone's lungs, you have a serious illness to contend with.
Also once water goes into equilibrium temperature differential within the loop will be irrelevant
I don't understand what you are posting.

In regards to the last sentence it was a mistake on my part due to lack of coffee. In forced circulation water does not have any kind of temperature differential. Once equilibrium is reached the loop disposes whatever heat is dumped in it.
Basically there are no "hot or cold spots" in an ordinary cooling system once the water reaches equilibrium. This is a common misbelief among enthusiasts. This is also why they add reservoirs thinking it will provide a cold spot for water to decrease in temperature.

Obviously the thermosyphon effect is different and temperature differential in the engine which drives it. Sorry for that.

For the toxicity problem clorine, silver and even engine coolant will avoid the problem in most cases.

Last edited:
A pump == noise. I can hear the hum from my flat screen monitor, so there's no way I'm not going to hear a pump or fan in my amp.

Maybe possibly bring the water line outside of the room and have the pump and fans in another room. People with air bearing turntables have the compressor in another room. But then piping air is a lot less fraught then pumping water.

Further thought: is passive pumping possible? Hot water wants to rise above cold. Is it possible to use this fact to get water moving? I suspect that the viscosity of water would be to high.

Leo,
the last few posts are discussing the requirements for the thermo syphon effect.

Andrew, why do you have to so patronising.
Leo is making a valid point, and this is a forum after all!
Your persistant cutting comments and authorative tone will only deter members from posting!

Maybe there should be an "IQ" level as a prerequisite to the membership of the forum, so that members do not post below your level! :):p

.............Further thought: is passive pumping possible? Hot water wants to rise above cold. Is it possible to use this fact to get water moving? I suspect that the viscosity of water would be to high.

Not an unexpected answer................as per normal..............:confused:
read his last sentence and let's get back to the topic/s

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.