Building k-horn clones - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Construction Tips

Construction Tips Construction techniques and tips

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th October 2011, 04:25 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Building k-horn clones

I have speaker lab plans and 3 of the metric ones out there.All differ with measurements.I have been told the old Goergian Electro Voice plans are close to the original.Does anyone have these or know were I can get them as I would like to use them to compare with the others.

Thanks Woody
Old 8th October 2011, 11:14 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

What are k-horns? Are you referring to the folded Klipsch bass horns that took up the size of a barn? E
Old 9th October 2011, 01:34 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

The Klipschprn would be a great. It is actually a bit tricky depending on your skill level. There is more than one set of speakerlab drawings out there. It is not clear which is closer to the real deal.

What many have found, myself included, is that the Klipsch Jubilee bass bin is a simpler project and it sounds better. The bass bin has sufficient bandwidth that you could go with a two way configuration if that is something you seek. It has other advantages also.

The design and performance was outlined in a JAES article (Delgado & Klipsch, 2000) and there is enough info over on the Klipsch forum to get you started.

Good Luck

Last edited by WithTarragon; 9th October 2011 at 01:36 AM. Reason: ..
Old 10th October 2011, 12:59 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Thanks ,
I have all the parts for the k horns .I guess I will put it together and see what shakes.Most seem happy to be happy with the Speakerlab plans.
Woody
Old 16th October 2011, 03:10 AM   #5
dangus is offline dangus  Canada
diyAudio Member

I think I read someplace that there was a serious flaw in the Speakerlab version, something to do with the throat or the size of the chamber behind the woofer. It might have been an Audio magazine interview with Paul Klipsch, the same one that described his penchant for throwing foam-rubber bricks at bank windows.

Hide this!Advertise here!