My first project, need some tips

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, I am a beginner and I have my first project in mind. I want it to be a 3 way active system with active crossovers.

I have two Gamma La1231 speakers repaired and sent for measurements. I'm waiting for their frequency response to think if I should build a 2-way or 3 way.

I have some questions:

First of all, how to choose bracing pattern? What is the best bracing? The speaker box will be rectangular, using the golden ratio and its volume is calculated to be 130L closed box judging from the speaker measured parameters.
I want to use MDF, because it's avaible and cheap.
Also, how to know what thickness is correct?

Then, while the box is of the correct size, I heard the walls should be covered with a resonance reducing material. What is good and cheap in same time?

Then about the electronics.

I already have a discrete components amp for the bass, but I'm tempted to make chip amps for the mids and highs, mainly because of price. Let's take the LM3886 for example. The highs are 20-30 and the LM3886 will be driven to 60W, so there should not be much distortion. Are chip amps inferiour to discrete amps these days?

I also read from many people that IC opamps aren't good for audio and that I should use preamps with discrete elements. Can someone give arguments about this?

These are the questions I can think of now. Thank you.

Most people will say 18mm.

You could use egg crates that you could collect while you build the cabinets? Although you will have to get other opinions on whether it will work, but is similar to I suppose to Acoustic Profile foam.

Also by building it the golden ratio I believe this in itself minimizes standing waves, which is why you would be be putting stuff on the cabinet walls.

Happy to stand corrected by more experienced people.

I've built active three ways using LM3886TF chip amps for all drivers and they work well even in bridge mode for the woofers. Unless your ears are superhuman, it is unlikely you will be able to tell and even then, it wouldn't be easy.

Op amps are fine. Again, if you can tell the difference, put on a cape, put your underpants on the outside and fly off to the moon. :0

Frank

My biggest PITA is budget and I'll be trying to squeeze the best price to performance ratio.
What I'm not sure, what opamps should I use for the active crossovers? Should the choice be the same as for preamp opamps or not? For example LM4562, 5532 or else? I love the sound of the LM4562, but haven't tried anything else. :)

If you can afford the 4562, use them or, if no cash, the 5532 will be good. Remember, there is a lot of distortion added after the op amps, most notably by the speakers themselves.

Active is an easier thing to do. So long as the speakers have a reasonably flat response and have enough FR then LR 24dB crossovers are OK. I used Rod Elliott's and haven't ever had a problem.

Frank

Active is an easier thing to do. So long as the speakers have a reasonably flat response and have
enough FR then LR 24dB crossovers are OK. I used Rod Elliott's and haven't ever had a problem.

Frank

Hi,

No they are not, at all. Baffle Step Compensation and EQ is ignored.
You will end up with something that works, but does not work well.

Active crossovers require the right transfer functions, which are never
classic filter functions, they apply to the actual acoustic response.

rgds, sreten.

Ok, I got convinced by the FAQ. I'm deciding to use an already made design, as it seems designing crossovers is not a simple task. I have to decide what to do with these repaired Gamma LA 1231 speakers. Maybe I could sell them to someone who is satisfied by their parameters.

Thank you guys!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.