faraday ring shape ?(shorting ring) - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Construction Tips

Construction Tips Construction techniques and tips

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th September 2011, 03:55 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default faraday ring shape ?(shorting ring)

I had read alot about faraday ring, which have advantage of reduce imductance and provide more linear motion, etc.
But how to construct and what is the shape ? I heard some said plating the surface, but not so much info about it.

(I)Should I make it a big cylinder around those surface needed (pole and top plate, well depend on design),

(II)or make it like a coil, similar to voice coil ? (maybe opposite direction ?)

(III)Or make make many short cylindrical ring, stack together with insulation, means shorting in a ring, by layer, instead of one big one. (seems like a round layer cake)

I personally think that third one is better ? but may limit by the current carrying capacity, need further design.

SO now, which do you felt the best, or you have better suggestion ? (also can let me know how to make ? hope can be easily accessed)
Old 9th September 2011, 05:14 AM   #2
badman is offline badman  United States
diyAudio Member

The most realistic is a pole sleeve on a cylindrical pole. It's quite an undertaking to build a driver, are you sure you're up to it, if you're unsure of what you want to do with shorting?
Old 9th September 2011, 10:38 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

haha, what do you mean by realistic ? (easy job ?) Try to build a driver seems challenging ! and fun too, haha ! using neodymium magnet, but thats not the matter of this thread.

Hide this!Advertise here!