solder pad rivet?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
You just drill holes in the PCB. The component sits on one side of the board, the leads go through the holes and get soldered to the copper on the other side.

...or maybe I misunderstood the question. Surely you've seen this? If not, just have a look inside an amplifier or portable radio or something to see how it's done.

You can specify "thru hole plating" when you buy a batch of boards. There are also hobbyist products that achieve the same result. You might hear them called "vias" although that word is also used for a similar connection between layers of a multi-layer PCB (no component in the hole, though). For diy stuff it's rarely needed. Just solder both sides. The component lead completes the circuit through the board.
In the past manufacturers did actually use a rivet-type pin.
If you are speaking of a single-sided board, vias aren't necessary, and the question should be rephrased as, "how is the component connected to the solder pad on the bottom?"

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
I had to do this recently to fix a damaged double sided PCB at work. It was a rush job, so I just popped down the local model shop, and found some 1.2mm diameter brass tube. Cut a short length by rolling it on the bench whilst pressing down on it with a knife blade, opened out the hole in the PCB to fit, then soldered in place. Perfect.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.