Custom Skateboard Speaker design. - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Construction Tips

Construction Tips Construction techniques and tips

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st August 2011, 05:28 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Custom Skateboard Speaker design.

Hows it going everyone!

Looking to get some advice on a design i am working on. I am a big audio and skateboard buff and am hoping to meet the both in the middle. I had a big bang in my brain to design a portable open baffle speaker system out of a 8" skateboard deck. 2 5" Full range woofers and a battery powered T-amp. Also a design where a board is cut in half to be a nice set of open baffle desktop speakers.

Just curious if anyone can help me with standing/leg equipment and where i would find a short enough beat-in banana plugs for the desk top models.

Also if i could be pushed along to what people would think is a good for the money woofer, i have found one i like but would love some insights. These will have a relatively low price tag, and will mostly be used by people that do not have anywhere close to the golden ear. A decent low end and a clear distortion free-ish sound.

Thank you

Preston @ Real Talk Skateboards.
Old 25th August 2011, 01:07 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Any help?
Old 25th August 2011, 02:14 PM   #3
godfrey is offline godfrey  South Africa
diyAudio Member

You won't get any bass from an 8" wide open baffle speaker, no matter what woofers you use.
Old 25th August 2011, 03:35 PM   #4
badman is online now badman  United States
diyAudio Member

Decent low end isn't going to happen and I'm not sure what you're asking about in your second paragraph. beat in bananas?
Old 25th August 2011, 04:03 PM   #5
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

I think he wants to use an 8" skateboard deck with a couple 5" FR units.

Also a second set using a skateboard deck cut in half to act as a set of computer speakers. I think he needs help in designing the leg that will hold up the computer speaker something similar to a desktop picture frame.

Preston, as the others have said, you will have a hard time doing what you want, they way you want. In other words: Ain't gonna happen. You will need to enclose the speakers to get any bass from them.
Old 25th August 2011, 04:26 PM   #6
hates ground loops
diyAudio Member

Maybe you can fit some sort of pipe (PVC) to the backside of the woofer that is mounted to half a deck open baffle style. You could make it detachable so the speaker remains highly portable. Plus you could probably boardslide it.

Hide this!Advertise here!