Sealer for MDF - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Construction Tips

Construction Tips Construction techniques and tips

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th August 2011, 06:11 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Sealer for MDF

I know, i know.....this topic has been done to death, however....

....having read all the posts, the many posts, there really isn't any clear advice on what's good to seal MDF cabs before priming and painting. It can't just be me scratching their head over all the different options.

So what are people currently using to seal MDF? What have you settled for at this moment in time?

Epoxy?
Polyurethane?
Urethene?
Wood hardeners?
Gelcoat?
Acrylic?

If any UK based people can gives links to products i can buy here, that would be very very appreciated.
Old 18th August 2011, 06:55 PM   #2
evanc is offline evanc  United States
diyAudio Member

Location: New Jersey. About 1 hour from NYC and 1 min. from the beach
BIN shellac based white primer. dries fast and sands easily. scuff the surface of the med before you paint it no matter what you end up using.
Old 18th August 2011, 07:58 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I read the data sheet. An interesting product that seems to tick the boxes.
I wonder why it hasn't had more mention.

Most threads are concerned with ensuring joints don't show through. That is a concern of mine, but i am unlikely to do a "piano" shine finish. I prefer matte.
Old 18th August 2011, 09:21 PM   #4
diyAudio Moderator

I use sanding sealer, works a treat. The other thing you can do is finish up the woodwork, seal, then before doing the final finish leave the boxes to acclimatise to your house for a month or so. The wood will then settle down to the humidity in your house, then you can do a final sand and finish.
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 18th August 2011, 09:31 PM   #5
joe58 is offline joe58  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkmouse View Post
I The other thing you can do is finish up the woodwork, seal, then before doing the final finish leave the boxes to acclimatise to your house for a month or so. The wood will then settle down to the humidity in your house, then you can do a final sand and finish.
To be fair I think that happens anyway as probably quite a few builds go with out paint for a while, as you just want to listen to them.

On a serious note I will for a non speaker build, be trying to seal MDF with some Wilko's PVA mixed with water tomorrow and will let you know how that goes. It is stated on it that this can be done, but we'll see.
Old 18th August 2011, 09:41 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

PVA doesn't sand well. It will however allow you to use a water based filler over it.

If you want to cheat, mix joint compound with water to fill the surface. Sands nicely but what a mess!

There are lots of products called sanding sealer, the actual brand is quite important. DuPont makes a good one for wood but it is hard to find. Automotive gray primer works well but you have to spray it.
Old 18th August 2011, 10:49 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon7000 View Post

There are lots of products called sanding sealer, the actual brand is quite important.
I quite agree. There are just so many different products you could use, and variations thereof.

Can i ask if anyone is suggesting a product they like that they specify exactly which brand and type they're referring to. I hope that makes things clearer for everyone. Is there a particular Automotive primer or Sanding Sealer etc. in mind?

At the moment Zinsser BIN Shellac primer sealer is has been suggested.
Old 18th August 2011, 10:59 PM   #8
diyAudio Moderator

Okay, this stuff
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 19th August 2011, 11:24 AM   #9
marce is offline marce  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I use this on MDF, started using it when it was all I had, so I thought I'd test it. Takes a while to dry but does do a good job on the edges.
Ronseal Wet Rot Wood Hardener | Wood Filler Products | Ronseal
Also used chestnut cellulose sanding sealer and melamine lacquer.
All dry to a veryvery hard finish, which I think is necessary for MDF.
Old 19th August 2011, 01:10 PM   #10
evanc is offline evanc  United States
diyAudio Member

Location: New Jersey. About 1 hour from NYC and 1 min. from the beach
Another advantage of the zinsser product is the fact that it is alcohol based. It is less toxic then any other thinner based product, and you can top coat with whatever you want....thinner based or water based.....

Hide this!Advertise here!