Sealer for MDF

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I did make them. The seam you see just above the driver is where the top is glued on. I'm not a fan of exposed end-grain. I normally make make miters, or veneer the edge. These were just an experiment to see what full-range speakers sound like (as opposed to 2-ways with a crossover). I dressed them up as far as possible so they'd look good in my daughter's room.

If I ever use MDF again, I'll plan on covering them in veneer. The expense would be much greater, but I just can't get a fine enough finish with raw MDF

by the time you calculate the time and materials required to get a decent finish on raw MDF, the cost of veneer and simple oil or even more elaborate finish might seem far more reasonable

you still to need to take care that butt joint seams are smooth and glue-sized to avoid telegraphing through a thin paper backed veneer ( this is actually more of a problem with the exposed edge grain of plywood than MDF)

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.