Polishing a case & what material is this case?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi.

I have this unit Zenith unit here and am not sure what material the case/housing is made out of. I was hoping someone more knowledgeable could help me out.

I've heard it being Bakalite but then again this site says it is neither Bakalite or Calatin. H723Z Ch= 7H04Z Radio Zenith Radio Corp.;

I would like to know what polish I can use to restore a shine to it? Preferably something not costing a lot. I used some Wrights Brass Polish on one side and it seemed to remove the polish at the time. Not sure why I used that at the time.

I remember a old CD scratch repair trick using peanut butter so I used a pea sized amount and polished the de-polished side and it seemed to restore the shine but if you use a moist damp cloth with water to wipe it later well that polish comes off and you end up with the original results again.

Hope I posted it in the right thread forum. If not let me know or move it into the correct section. Thanks in advance.

Novus products are used for polishing plastics and also used by some guitar builders to polish the lacquer or French Polish finish on acoustic guitars.
I've used Novus on guitars- good stuff.
Meguiars makes a similar line of products. Check at your local auto paint store or plastics outlet.

Provided the case material is dense enough and even in color throughout.......I would attack in the same way you'd polish a plastic car lens. I'll skip the first step (wet sanding) because I doubt it's called for here, unless there are scratches that compound won't correct. Start with medium rubbing compound, then to fine. Finish with a good quality final polish (3m finesse-it). A similar process is used on fiberglass boat hulls with good success.

Last edited:
Would using a rotary tool (dremel/clone) with a buffer attachment be a good idea or do hand polishing? I have a number of units that need some cleaning up.

I also have a small cordless drill and corded drill as well. My Mastercraft rotary tool speed adjustment broke so it is fixed at the highest RPM right now which is something like 9000rpm from the ~2000-9000rpm adjustment. Would 9000rpm with a 'on, off' touch and lift technique work? I'm trying to work with what I have on hand without having to purchase anything else unless it is absolutely necessary.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.